Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dakar riders face speed limits

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pvda, May 11, 2005.

1. Found on the Foxsport web site.

Dakar riders face speed limits
    From correspondents in Paris
    May 11, 2005

MOTORCYCLE riders will be restricted to a top speed of 150kph in the 2006 Dakar Rally after two deaths in the endurance event this year.

Organisers said today that the limits, applied to trucks this year, would help improve safety and make the competition closer.

"The Dakar is not a speed race," they said in a statement, saying the event was more a test of navigational skills and endurance for man and machine.

Italy's Fabrizio Meoni, twice a winner of the rally, and Spanish amateur Jose Manuel Perez died this year in a race which has seen 22 competitors killed since its debut as the Paris-Dakar in 1978.

The 2006 Dakar will start from Lisbon on December 31 and go through Guinea for the first time since 1996, organisers said.

The rally will also visit Morocco, Mauritania and Mali before it ends in Dakar, Senegal, on January 15.

2. if it was victoria , they would charge them a $50 levy , toll them through the towns and spend the money on makeing lanes for bike riders (yer you heard me , bicycle riders ) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

start stopwatch to see how long before this hits page 2
  3. I'll fire up the pop corn now :wink:
  4. Those bloody irresponsible rally riders, ruining it for the rest of us, raising insurance prices and and and...

ah feck it, my heart's not in it today.

Anybody up for a ride this weekend? I could use some nice smooth sweepers...