Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Dakar 2016

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by hornet, Jan 5, 2016.

• Like Like x 3
  1. I have been following live through the night on the feed on the Adventure Rider site. Great info there from ex racers.
  2. Largely ignored by mainstream media in this country. Watch the stooges jump on board with 'expert' opinion if (no, when) he takes the outright.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wonderful coverage on SBS though..
  4. "I like going fast in the desert"
    Toby Price.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bloody wet desert, wait till you see the mud
  6. As with most other sports, despite our tiny sized population, relative to other nations, we manage to produce some amazing sportsmen and women.....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I'm rooting for the Toyota Hilux team. (Giniel De Villiers). I was lucky enough to have helped develop (in a small way) the first Hilux Dakar prototype a few years ago when I was in charge of the Toyota South Africa Chassis Plant. We were asked to build the strongest chassis we possibly could - adding extra internal bracing and stiffening it up as much we could.

The end product they ended up racing with was quite radically different due to about every other 'normal' production part breaking during testing.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. when is it showing on SBS?
  9. 5pm for a half hour wrap of the previous day. Unfortunately that's as good as it gets free to air.
  10. Ill keep en eye out. thanks mate
  11. Toby Price has dropped down to ninth after stage 3 in what looks (to me) like a prudent decision to leave road sweeping to the desperadoes in the field.

Toby Price, opened the road and found obstacles such as animals and spectators on track a persistent difficulty. “I had a few close calls with some people,” Price explained in statement to Dakar personnel after the stage. “It was safer to back it down a little today and put ourselves in a good position for tomorrow and we’ll go from there. We’re only at day three now so there’s still a long way to go.”

Having said that, four minutes is a bit more gap than you would ideally choose to give the likes of Barreda and Goncalves.

2016 Dakar Rally Stage 3 Results

1. Kevin Benavides (Honda) ARG – 2:31:03
    2. Paulo Goncalves (Honda) PRT – 2:31:29
    3. Antoine Meo (KTM) FRA – 2:31:30
    4. Stefan Svitko (KTM) SVK – 2:31:34
    5. Joan Barreda (Honda) ESP – 2:31:37
    6. Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) FRA – 2:32:39
    7. Gerard Farres Guell (KTM) ESP – 2:32:49
    8. Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna) CHL – 2:32:55
    9. Alain Duclos (Sherco TVS) FRA – 2:32:58
    10. Matthias Walkner (KTM) AUT – 2:33.29

2016 Dakar Rally Overall Standings after Stage 3
    1. Stefan Svitko (KTM) SVK – 6:27:04
    2. Kevin Benavides (Honda) ARG – 6:27:38
    3. Joan Barreda (Honda) ESP – 6:27:50
    4. Paulo Goncalves (Honda) PRT – 6:27:58
    5. Alain Duclos (Sherco TVS) FRA – 6:28:00
    6. Matthias Walkner (KTM) AUT – 6:28:37
    7. Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna) CHL – 6:29:28
    8. Ruben Faria (Husqvarna) PRT – 6:30:47
    9. Toby Price (KTM) AUS – 6:31:53
    10. Juan Pedrero Garcia (Sherco TVS) ESP – 6:33:23
  12. Stage 4 complete, and Honda is dominating. Goncalves has pulled nearly a five minute lead, although Barreda Bort would be in front except for two liaison speeding penalties.
    Benavides (Honda) second and Faria (Husqvarna) third. Price is sixth at 6.48, four seconds behind best-placed KTM rider, Meo.

High altitude is being blamed for a number of crashes, some riders saying they actually passed out.
  13. ... an KTM strike back. Price grabs Stage 5 with Meo and Svitko making it an all orange podium.
    Goncalves retains the overall lead, now reduced to under two minutes to Svitko and Price closing in.
  14. For a relatively young racer he is showing a lot of maturity, I wouldn't be at all surprised, barring a major incident, if he wasn't right in the mix at the end. That said there are so many things that can go wrong over a two week event that the same could be said for any of the top 10 I guess.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I could watch 12 hours straight of the Dakar. Just 1/2 hour on SBS every evening just isn't enough. Go Toby.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Meo is going well in his first attempt, and will be hard to beat very soon. Sanz was running top 10 in 2015, she's got what it takes.
  17. Reporting of stage 7 is all over the place, with different outlets - including the official Dakar site - giving different and contradictory information about the standings, even on the same page.
    It appears, from most accounts, that Meo won the stage and Goncalves has managed to extend his overall lead over Price, although the organisers have neutralised the last part of the special stage due to weather. This seems to have confused even themselves. No doubt it will become clear soon.
  18. The first 22 riders managed to cross a swollen river after a huge thunderstorm, the next bloke got washed away loosing his bike. He got rescued by spectators forming a human chain. The section got canned after that. Now the problem is the only bridge crossing this river had lots of trees washed against it and there are concerns it will wash away. The diversion for the support trucks is 300ks long and that means a very late arrival at the Bivouac maybe 3am. Not much of a rest day for some. BTW all this from the thread on Adventure Rider. Its a superb source, hope all is turns out correct. Those blokes reveal The NSA for sources on the ground.
    • Informative Informative x 1