Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Daddy says it's time to get a toy

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Scottdog, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Ok so I'm new here and just wanted to say hello to one and all.
    I'm entering into my 6th year without a bike and it is killing me. I have always had at least one back in the garage over the previous 33 years so this lay off period has been going on for far to long. So it's time the kids take a back seat and I get a toy. I have been looking and looking and looking, when things get bad I use the local bike shop and have a couple of test rides, but it's time to get back on two wheels on a more permanent basis.

So what am I looking for. I'm past the arse up head down riding and want something in the naked style. I have had a 900ie monster and have been eyeing a speed triple as a possibility, but then I saw a 2002 XJR 1300, all the reviews I read have been good. In my head I'm still in my 20's and yearn for the grin factor that my old Yam RD250 or even my Triumph 750 Tiger gave me. Want something with enough go to feel naughty every now and then, most be comfortable and handle well. Any ideas?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. versys 650. 2014, the one with the classic looks

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Welcome mate. Superduke?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome to NR..

You're right. You do need a bike now. :)

I think the original choice of xjr is solid. You won't be disappointed.

5. welcome aboard :]

6. Thanks for the welcome everyone. Superduke would have the grin factor until I lost all my points, no self control you see. The versys 650 looks top heavy, like the Ducati Multi and those others such as BM's GS. I do like the XJR style and looks the only worry would be winding it on, so I need something comfortable and visually appealing. I was thinking about all the bikes I had over the years and they have all had appeal in looks and sound department. My 595 Trumpy had both in bucketful's and was comfortable on longer rides, down side was the top end speed. So maybe a smaller capacity bike might be the way to go, but I do like big bikes. Having been off a bike for so long I want something I will be happy with for a few years, which is why I need to pick the right bike.

7. What about a postie? It's naked - one hell of a discusion topic, and you will NEVER lose all your points??

8. XJR is no slouch, spend some change on suspension upgrades and it'd make a fine weapon for when the mood strikes. Sounds great with a pipe too.

Welcome to NR.

9. mmmm it's a thought!! Have you seen a cafe racer version of this iconic bike, now thats a proper show stopper lol

At the local bike shops I want most of the bikes but in reality I have limited funds so need to get the right bike when I do get back on the road. There are so many to choose from and I know I want a naked, a tourer, a weekend scratcher, off road blaster, cafe racer, street fighter but under no circumstances do I want a harley or anything chop/cruser styled, ok for some just not for me.

10. Thanks for the welcome.

I thought the XJR came with Ohlins as standard.

11. It does ScottdogScottdog, but it's basic Ohlins and only in the rear. As an overall package it's competent enough, but a bit on the wallowy side if you're keen on getting on with it. Nothing that can't be fixed with some judicious fettling by someone who knows what they're doing.

It was on my shortlist before, and it will be again if I ever get sick of my Hyper's impracticality.