Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

D3o: impact hardening material

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by heffa, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Been reading up on a new material called d3o. It is a fabric like material that hardens ridgid when it recieves a sharp impact.
    It was used by the US and Canadian ski teams at the winter olympics, and there are a few apparel bands who have started using it too.
    Has anyone heard of this being picked up by any bike apparel makers? Would be excellant for riding gear.

2. If your talking about the layered visco-elastic type materials I think they were being developed for ballistic armour (military crap etc) but there was a snowboarder helmet called the softshell or eggshell or something that used the material. It won a design award here in oz.
    I agree the stuff would be good for bike gear but I'm not sure how controllable the deformation would be.
  3. Think its something else again. I believe the design for skiers was a thin breathable padding layer cover by the D3o. Maybe for bike use, adding a kevlar or cordura layer for abrasion.
  4. I have D30 material in my shinguards for soccer and they also make goalkeeping gloves with D30 material in it. Both of which are made by a brand called Sells.