Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

D-Link Router (Update)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dazza, May 24, 2006.

1. Ok so I hooked up a D-Link Router and it is not firing on all cylinders, bit like a Spewzuki (little bit of bike flavour :LOL: :wink: )

When I installed it, both PC's were able to print via the USB connection. I would get a connection error message but it would still print.

Any thoughts, I have frigged around with it to no avail.

My plan was to have both PC's access the net indipendently, this sort of works but the main PC needs to be online for this to happen :cry:

And I still cant network between both PC's

Fugging computers........other than throwing them out the window, setting them on fire and claiming insurance, kicking them, reformatting or going back to the stable life I had before I was ROUTED :wink: any ideas would be handy.

Cheers :cool:
  2. Do you have DHCP set up for your LAN, or are you assigning static IP addresses? Do you have any IP info on your PC's network cards?
  3. Re: D-Link Router Problems

Buy a Mac?

EDIT - What model is the Router, how many ports, and how have you connected it up? If it's a single port router and you are linking the two computers directly by Ethernet, that requires some TCPIP features to be enabed in windows if you want to share an internet connection and printers. If it's a muti-port router it should be easy as.
  4. RTFM.....................

5. buy a printer server and hook the printer to that (about $60-$120 I guess) so its on the network without needing to be connected to a computer
  6. Brain Fade...........I am going to dig a whole too many questions. Let me get back to you :LOL:

1) option 1 is looking sweet........claim on insurance

7. Printer Server software came with it and it assigned a new port. Thats how I was able to print

Router model is D-Link DI-704UP

Will check DHCP but I did go somewhere for ip stuff and assign IP stuff :oops:

8. Connection - Printer USB in the printer plug socket plug to printer. Cable ethernet direct to WAN. Both PC's direct via ethernet to plug 1 & 2

9. That is a 4 port router with a built-in USB print server, it should be plug-and-play. Are the printer drivers installed on both systems?

EDIT - Is internet connection sharing enabled on the 'main' PC? If yes, and DHCP is also enabled on the router, you might get addressing problems.
  10. Your LAN is usually DHCP by default. Can you ping 1 PC from the other? If you have a static IP on your PC then you have to assign that in your routers access control list. Try setting IP and DNS to automatic on your 2 PC's and restart them.
  11. It might be worth checking out the forums at Whirlpool.net.

Here's a link to the Networking forum:

In my experience either someone will have experienced the same problem already, or they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
  12. thanks guys checking all suggestions........will keep you updated :LOL:

Ok some uber noober questions :shock:

How should the set up be. I would prefer both PC's can access the net indipendently, as in if my PC is turned off i would like the other one able to access it. At the moment I have to have this one one for the other to work.

I have just had another look at the Network Set up Wizard and it suggests not to have them indipendent but working through this PC

Also what is Residential Gateway and what is a Ethernet Network Hub

13. buy an old PC (like even a pentium 1) and install ipcop (www.ipcop.org) to make it your gateway. If you want further details, give me a hoy :)
  14. Make sure your windows firewall if on is allowing printer and file sharing to pass through. Also check what the ip address of each computer is. goto start->Run->type "cmd" (without "")
    then type ipconfig. It will tell you the ip address of that computer. Repeat this on the other one too. You should be able to tell from the ip address that they are on the same network. Most likely it will be or something similar. Now you can try pinging the computers that means send a packet and see what happens. One ping one ping only (hunt for red october...sorry I digress) in the same cmd window type ping 192.168.x.x or whatever the ip of the other computer was. If you get a response then they are both working ok.

Now click on start settings control panel network connections the double click "local area network" click properties and then using the scroll bar on the side of the box that appears find Internet Protcol( tcp/ip ) and then double click this. If both computers are set to automatically obtain and IP address then there is no problem. Now hit cancel and you should be back in the previous window (local area connection properties) make sure you can see in that list of protocols and clients "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks". These are both necessary to share files to each computer.

Your router should be NAT'ted and should be set to DHCP then your computers will automatically get IP addresses and internet.

BTW you could just install the printer on one computer and ditch the print server, just depends if you can physically set it up that way.

Let us know how you go. :cool:
  15. Thanks for the input, I have tried reconnencting the old paralel cable and the printer does not have a bar of it

But will do what you said........so I think I will gone gooooone for a while

16. You can't get around reading the manual on setting this up.

The manual will tell you what subnet to setup you computer on and where to go to configure it (browser based) default admin logon and passwords to configure it.

Maybe it would be a good idea to get someone to set it up (or check it out) for you.
  17. This is what I did..........If all else fails read the manual :p

Getting/Paying someone to fix it might be the go :grin:

Any takers :grin:

18. which company are you using
    optus or bigpond or someone else

if bigpond you need to set up the log in for them on the router
  19. Router :oops:
    i thought it was something else and was hitting the mouse like it was going out of fashion , only to be dissapointed ..........................BIG TIME :cry: :wink: :LOL:
  20. this help? http://www.fu-fme.com/ (warning: nsfw words inside)