Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

D.I.Y Community workshop, Melbourne (its coming!)

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by jimmy_g, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Hey Netrider,

I though you guys would be interested in a project that myself and Richie (of Return of the Cafe Racers) are currently working towards.

After years of struggling with poorly equipped tool kits and a lack of workspace we’ve decided to do something about it. Melbourne’s space poor inner city dwellings are no place for budding motorcycle builders and mechanics. Inspired by similar projects in other countries we are planning to open a communal motorcycle workshop in Melbourne’s inner city suburbs that we callThe Kustom Kommune.

The Kustom Kommune will be Melbourne's first ever communal motorcycle workshop. A cool, stylish decked out community space. The Kommune will have a fully equipped DIY motorcycle workshop located close to Melbourne's CBD (surrounding suburbs, looking at space around Fitzroy / Collingwood / Bruswick) where you can hire a fully equipped work bay to work on your motorcycle project. Restorations, scratch builds, custom projects or general maintenance, no project is too big or small. The Kommune will be a community of like minded motorcycle enthusiasts learning from one another and building friendships.

There is a substantual set up cost in launching an ambitious project such as this and we are aiming to raise a portion through crowdfunding on Pozible. We have 90 Days to reach our target, as soon as we do the project is locked and loaded (might be a with in a week or month or last minute) and we will secure the venue and start the fit out process. We estimate that the venue will be open for business within 2 months of reaching the goal (most likely less).

We really need the support of the motorcycle community to see this project come to life. With support through donations and promotion etc we will have a workspace that can be enjoyed by everyone. The more start up fund we can raise means that we can secure a larger venue with more tools, more storage space whilst keeping the costs as low as possible.

Check out the project on Pozible for more info!

You can view our Project here: www.pozible.com/kommune
    Stay Updated on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kustomkommune
    Call Jimmy (me) on 0416 469 335 if you want to chat about the project!

Many thanks!
    Jimmy G.

More info about Pozible and Crowdfunding:

What is Pozible?

Pozible is a crowdfunding platform and community-building tool for creative projects and ideas. It was developed to help people raise funds, realise their aspirations and make great things possible.

Crowdfunding with Pozible is a way for motivated makers to access funding beyond ‘official’ channels by talking directly to switched-on consumers, fans, peers and like-minded strangers.

Whether you’re a part-time photographer, aspiring illustrator, avant-garde kazoo virtuoso or app-developing wizard, you can host your project on Pozible.

How does it work?

Pozible provides the platform for project creators to present their ideas to a connected audience, worldwide. If people love what you’re creating, they can support it by pledging money.

In return, project creators offer rewards matched to the level of funding commitment.

Pozible can also be a gateway for discovering and supporting inspirational projects and thinkers directly. By becoming actively involved in bringing more attention to bold new ideas, art, products and the talented people who conceive them, project supporters become a vital part of a true creative community.

When will pledges be collected?

Pledges will be collected when the project has reached 100% of its funding goal. Once the project reaches 100% of the funding target, all subsequent pledges are collected immediately.

Further information can be found here
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Fascinating idea. Thanks for posting.
  3. This is a great idea and not enough people are getting behind it! I'm pledging, c'mon guys, free bump!
  4. Thanks for the support! So far the project is doing very well, we have managed to raise over 15% in just a couple of days. Still a long way to go yet but I have no doubt will hit our target!
  5. Ill happily pitch in in a week or two! It won't be a lot, but it seems like a tremendous idea. My only wish is that I lived closer to Melbourne
  6. Thanks, KadeO! We are up to $7387 with 65 individuals chipping in. The concept is getting some great feedback too. Looked a couple of potential venues yesterday, one of which (in Brunswick with Tram stop out front!) could be a winner!
  7. Sounds great! Location would suit me.

Can I wheel a bike onto the No. 19 tram? :D
  8. You
    You could try! haha
  9. Wow what a awesome idea!! Ill defiantly chip in some amount over the next couple of weeks! Could be something big. :D
  10. Watching with interest
  11. This is great! Exactly what I need... would use the shop. Checking sponsorship options now.
  12. We hit a big milestone today, breaking $10k in support! Thanks to everyone that has donated.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I've bookmarked this to come back later and have a good peruse. Sounds like a fascinating concept!

You'll have to get out wider than NR to increase penetration though... start letter dropping shops and clubs and hammering social media.

Good luck!
  14. Thanks robsalvv!

Social media and blogs have been a biggie for us, its been picked up and featured by the likes of BIKEEXIF, Pipe Burn, Lowbrow Customs, Return of the Cafe Racers, FUEL, Dime City Cycles plus many more. Theres a great write up going into the next edition of JUST BIKES magazine too. (y)
  15. Just a bit of an update:
    We have managed to raise 54% ($16437!) of our target and have now hit halfway mark time-wise. We have 45 days left to raise the remaining 46%! Huge thanks to everyone that has chipped in so far and if you have been thinking about supporting the cause now is definitely the time to do it.
  16. Fantastic to hear this is going so well. I pledged early and I am really looking forward to this opening.

My next custom build project will be a Kustom Kommune based work for sure.

Guys - you should come down to the Netrider Thursday night coffee group at Stuzzi cafe in Northcote and talk about the project.
  17. Sounds like a plan mate, maduncle! Will be great to see the build happen at the Kommune.

We'll try to get out to more events, including some of the Netrider rides, very time poor at the moment with all these projects!

We need to give the Kommune some good exposure over the next few weeks, who's got some suggestions on how to get the funding over the line? Brainstorm!

18. Okay - first idea, get to Broadford and have flyers or some other promo material to hand out to the thousands attending over Easter.
  19. Maybe get ariderslife to say something in his vlogg?
  20. This is locked in. Wouldn't miss it for the world!

Peter is actually doing a video about the Kommune today! https://www.facebook.com/AridersLifeOfficial