Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CZ Frame, Cafe Racer

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Devery, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Hi all.

Is it possible (or even advisable) to fit a new motor into an old CZ motorcycle I got for spare parts?

aV4fxEA.

It was suggested to get a bike from a wreckers or something where I can take the electronics as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a type of bike to swap the engine over? Or a good wrecker in Melbourne? Or any advice!?

I am thinking possible a Cafe racer as the end product. I've seen them on a few CZ bikes, but I'm not sure how the mechanics of the motor I have a the moment are going, I think a Japanese set up would be wise...

Thanks all!
    James.

2. Shouldn't be too hard. the CZ frame is pretty basic and, as I recall, was one of the better bits of the bike :grin: .

The one point to watch is that the CZ (or at least all the ones that I had) has a right hand chain, which limits your options quite seriously (Ducati and without stuffing around with the rear wheel/sprocket carrier arrangement.

Given that chain orientation can be sorted, I'd probably go with either an aircooled Yam RD, watercooled Kwak 500 twin, or get my tape measure out to see if one of the air cooled big singles (XT, TT, XL, XR, DR) would go in. I seem to remember the frame loop being quite roomy so it might be possible.

Probably the easiest swap would be a Jawa 350 twin if you can find one. I've seen it done and the resulting bike was....erm....OK. You remain stuck with the rather agricultural gearbox and a tendency to lay a smokescreen though.

If you've got the single leading shoe front brake, I'd strongly recommend an upgrade. If you've got the later twin leader, it can be made to work quite well with a bit of fettling.

best of luck.

3. Hey thanks!

Some good points. I'll look into them.

4. I don't want to put a damper on your prokect, it sounds like fun, but wouldn't it be better to start with a runner? Engineers cert. will kill it cost wise I would think?

5. The Jawa would be good Pat, but where could you find one?

The CZ's, from what I understand are okay when they're up and running, and always have someone tinkering over them. I was speaking to a bloke the other day who had one as a daily commuter. Stranger things have happened...

It's one of those cost v. results kinda thing. An engine and electronics from a wrecker is going to cost a couple of quid. Might be more worthwhile if you're after a fun little bike is to cut your losses and get a SR250 or a CD250.

However, that being said and you could graft an SR, XT or XR motor into it you'd be laughing all the way to the hospital. :LOL:

6. My 2c on this: after considering what we've talked about in the past, you got that frame and parts for $100 as spares, why not keep it that way. Rear-end a car even lightly, or have a small off, and doesn't always seem to take much to bend the forks, but you won't have spares if you use them building another bike. Etc etc with the other parts - here's great bargain to keep your good CZ on the road.

I was down at Intyre today picking up my bike (problem not solved :cry: but at least it's had a competent once over, now I can begin my dodgy fettling), asked Andy about putting a new engine into a frame - I've been chatting to an Indian Royal Enfield owner with a busted motor, who's become tempted to insert an SR400 engine - and it can get expensive. Your looking at least a grand for the welding, engineer's certificate, VIV inspection, and re-registration - Vic Roads are pretty hard on this and got harsher about a year ago. If that's the worst, that's still great news for somebody with a near new bike (9000km) who has spent thousands on his engine to no avail - for three grand he might have the Enfield back on the road and as reliable as a Jap bike, but in your case is it worth it? For under a grande you can get a whole range of 1980s 250s, all ready for registration, easy to rebore, adequate brakes, and you can do all the mods you want knowing that any problems will be small backyard headaches, not major expensive issues or even ultimate refusals of registration by Vic Roads...after you've spent the money and done the work...

Here is an 80s SR250 frame
    gx1mn8JA. (finished product http://flickr.com/photos/78131584@N00/491492006/sizes/l/ )

Check out pics of SR500 cafe racers - the 250 could easily do that! You saw the thread on QuaterWit's cut to his subframe - you could do the same. Or you could start with a CD250 if you want a flatter frame outright, though don't be fooled by the semi-cruiser look of the old SR250 - it takes very little to change it to a flat stripped cafe racer, and it's mostly a bolt-on affair. Check out the SR parts available here http://vanem.com.au/ or you can get cheap universal parts from eBay suppliers...

A near 300cc single with light 250 chassis would be a great bike. If I had to start again, I'd consider that! Back to the days of the simple reliable cheap little SR - oh God I miss that! (Though I'd do a BSA Bantam inspired SR250 (300cc) hard-tail with Royal Enfield bits, as I mentioned yesterday...but you young coots go make your back-breaking cafe racers!)

Edit: Here's an SR500 frame to compare

Pq4qPkJ.

7. As much as I think it would be an awesome project to make this CZ frame into something, I agree with you all. I think I'll just keep it for parts. I'll still pull it apart and put it back together again just for fun and learning about my bike.

Then after a year or when ever, I'll look into a SR250 perhaps and do a cafe.

I was never going to put a new engine in the CZ if it was going to be too much trouble, and looks like it will be.

I'll keep working on it and see how we go. But for now, there will be no CZ cafe racer :(

8. Only the loudest, most ogled little yellow bike on the street! :wink:

9. QW, the thing with Eastern Bloc bikes was always quality control. If you got a good one where all the tolerances went the right way and the production line workers weren't pissed or being threatened with the genital electrodes to increase production, it would run forever and cost you nothing. if you got a bad one, it would never be right no matter what you did to it.

Way back when, a mate with rather inadequate anger management skills smashed a Jawa 350 to metallic rubble with a sledgehammer because he was so pissed off with it.

Round about the same time, i had a succession of CZ250 twins and Jawa 350s as everyday (sole means of) transport. they cost nothing to run because complete strangers would sidle up to me at petrol stations and offer me shedfuls of rusty Czechs for nothing. it was great :grin: . pity the bikes were so ordinary.

After a bit of fiddling, all mine were at a state where they would start second kick under any circumstances, including some of the coldest winter weather on record in the UK. More than once i rattled off in a haze of blue smoke, whilst the owner of much flasher machinery was left struggling with a terminally flat battery :grin: .

Admittedly, i also had one rattle some screws out of it's carburettor, run lean and seize solid 300 miles from home one cold night. It later also dropped its fully enclosed chain guard between chain and back sprocket, resulting in another stop at the end of a long wiggly black line :shock: .

But it's all part of the fun of biking on the cheap innit?

10. Looks like a fun project.
    Have you considered restoring it to its original condition ?

11. Yes! hehe.

Might have to now... We'll see how it goes. I'll do my best to get it all kicking along. Then maybe sell it?

12. I don't like the enduros...

13. S'only one of their (decidedly ordinary) road singles with high(ish) level pipe and front mudguard.

Might be good value if the seller moved the decimal point to the left by a space or two. No CZ is a four figure bike.

As for entering it in VMX....... :rofl: .

14. They are priceless... Kinda.

15. What a lovely old bike.
    You should buy this for the motor.

16. Errr....no he shouldn't. They're really not very nice. Sort of like 1950s British Villiers engined grey porridge but without the old world charm.

Anybody who really wants an Eastern Bloc two stroke should buy an MZ and ignore CZ and Jawa road bikes.

17. A CZ cafe race from The Netherlands.

cz1.
    cz.