Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cyclists with cable tie things

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by geeth, Oct 1, 2009.

1. I know there are a few cyclists on the forum.
    I have been trying to work out why cyclists have thing coming from the top of their helmet. They kind of look like cable ties I saw one the other day that seemed to have like 15 of them.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

here's a pic of what I am talking about

2. At a guess to keep the magpies from pecking them?
  3. I think they are to keep the magpies away from your head, they can't get close enough to actually hit you with the cable ties sticking out.
  4. To keep their shitty looking helmets together? :p
  5. They are for keeping the magpies from getting too close when they swoop.

Yes, you look like a total idiot wearing them but it's better than being attacked by a magpie - those birds are insane during nesting season.

EDIT: The cable ties in the photo aren't long enough - you need at least 300mm ones.
  6. Doesn't eyes on the back keep them at a distance?
  7. Not always.

There are a few people on the BV forums who are missing bits of ear as a result of assiduous attention from our feathered friends.
  8. I just assumed they were like cats whiskers, so you could judge gaps in traffic & the like.
    I guess you learn something everyday!
  9. Thanks for the answers.
    I thought lycra was bad enough but then I saw cable ties.
  10. I carry a tennis racquet to deal with swooping magpies.
  11. I just stop, unclip, climb the tree where the nest is. Throw the nest on the ground. Stomp on the eggs for good measure then jump back on the bike and ride off in peace and quiet knowing full well that the wanker bird COULD have avoided this altercation by not attacking me unprovoked. The little bastards need to learn just where they sit on the food chain.