Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cyclist Troll Mode "Me-Bike"

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Going Camping, Jun 17, 2016.

1. So I saw this scooter riding in a separate bike lane yesterday, just shook my head and kept quiet.
    When they cut in front of me to stop in the bike box I noticed they were just wearing a bicycle helmet. Thought I'd better have a word with but as I was moving up noticed that their number plate read "No Rego" and they had "No Licence" sticker on all sides of their scooter.
    So I Backed away slowly and looked around to make sure no one thought we were associated. If they want to pick fights with Cyclist, Motorcyclists and the Police I'm not getting in the way.
    Turns out it was one of these:
    me-bike Australia | take me anywhere…

I really can't see this idea working out for anyone except the people making these stupid contraptions.

2. From their own site:
    There's links to various state and territory licensing and road rules after that block of text.
    Sounds like the one you saw forgot about the "powered bicycle" part at the intersection when they jumped into the lane.

3. #3 AyeKay, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Banned in NSW, or more specifically don't fall into the very narrow e-bike exemptions from rego and licensing.

A few have been pulled up here in NSW and the fines are significantly more than that asking price for unlicensed + unregistered + uninsured.

I commute by pushie during the week, largely on seperated cycleways and they do appear from time to time - but never for long. They always seem to get caught quick.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...vsi-27-mopeds-power-assisted-pedal-cycles.pdf

NB: figure 5

FWIW I actually did have a genuine pedalec 250w ebike. They are pretty amazing. I could cruise to work at 25km/h with NO effort. I was "pedaling" - but simply turning the cranks slowly while freewheeling engaged the motor without actually providing any drive effort or torque. The motor did it all, but I did provide some actual pedaling effort taking off from standstill at times, but it would climb some pretty serious hills itself. Bought it for the Mrs who has a chronic injury and can't really manage a normal bicycle but never got used. Can also get a decent motorbike cheaper anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Those 200w me-bikes are illegal in Vic unless the motor is restricted to 25km/h

• A bicycle certified as a Pedalec (compliant with European Committee for Standardization EN 15194:2009 or EN 15194:2009+A1:2011 Cycles - Electrically power assisted cycles - EPAC Bicycles). This bicycle features an auxiliary power producing no more than 250 watts and specifies this as a continuous rating. It also restricts the top power assisted speed to 25 kilometres per hour and requires the rider to pedal to access the power.
    A motorised bicycle is not classed as a bicycle if:

• the motor is the primary source of power
    • the motor's power output exceeds 200 watts (whether or not the motor is operating).

5. Yeah I've seen a guy on a normal scooter wearing a bicycle helmet before.