Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cyclist indicating rules

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MONKEYMAN, May 8, 2010.

1. but rather, a query sorts.

today i was riding in the right lane of a two lane road and approaching a cyclist in the left lane ahead of me.
    there was an intersecting street ahead to my right and apparently the cyclist wanted to make a right turn at that street.
    the cyclist moved accross the road into my path causing me to skid...no problem, i like doing skids.

but my questons>
    is the cyclist legally obliged to signal his lane change?
    if behind a cyclist in traffic how does one know when they are braking?
    because i did'nt know.
    are they legally obliged to signal that they are braking?
  2. Re: not an anti-faggot post...buuut...

they can't signal braking as far as i'm aware, but they're legally obliged to signal a lane change.

i cbf finding docs now
  3. Re: not an anti-faggot post...buuut...

Whats with the title? :-s
  4. Re: not an anti-faggot post...buuut...

ok thanks...

buuut...what is this signal and how will i recognise it?
  5. Re: not an anti-faggot post...buuut...

Road Safety Road Rules 2009

Part 15...

253 Bicycle riders not to cause a traffic hazard

The rider of a bicycle must not cause a traffic
    hazard by moving into the path of a driver or
    Penalty: 1 penalty unit
  6. Re: not an anti-faggot post...buuut...

+ bonus penalty instant death.

ok, buuuut...
    if the cyclist is allready in my path and has no functioning tail light.
    am i legally at fault if he brakes suddenly and i plow into him?
  7. Re: not an anti-faggot post...buuut...

From memory a cyclist must indicate a right turn but not a left turn.

Don't think they have to indicate a stop.

If they slow and you hit them then you were to close.

Change the title.
  8. Re: not an anti-faggot post...buuut...

No. They don't have to signal a stop.

Division 2, Rule 52.

9. Re: not an anti-faggot post...buuut...

not sure if it's law, but generally an outstretched arm in the intended direction of travel seems to be adequate.
    sadly, yes if you plow them it's your fault
  10. Damn those bundles of sticks!!!!
  11. It's a law that they should indicate. It's stupid that you must indicate right but not left... your front brake is on the right...
  12. Re: not an anti-faggot post...buuut...

yes. why would it be any different to the same situation for a car or bike?
  13. I thought left indicate was sticking the left arm straight out, right indicate was sticking left arm out bent at 90 degrees, in an L shape.
  14. Rob, are you confirming that you dont have to indicate a left turn, only a right.
  15. When I’m riding a pushie on the road, I make bloody sure that everyone has a pretty good idea of what I’m up to.
    Sure riding a pushbike can get more complicated than a car or motorbike as some types of pedaling, braking & maneuvering demands that both hands need to be on the ‘bars.
    On a pushbike you might be heaps slower than everyone else, but spatial sounds & headchecking can be less encumbered than in a car or with a motorcycle helmet on.
    Preempting the lane change or turn with the speed difference to traffic behind you, as well as in front in some cases, goes a long way to finding the gap.
    I sometimes find it easier to opt-out & do a hook-turn if I can’t get over to the right for a right turn on a busy multilane road.

The big swell in cycling has a lot of ‘new people’ on pushbikes. Coming from cars or motorbikes, maybe the perception is that being just a pushbike means that many road rules don’t really apply, therefore they go for whatever they can get away with.
    Kind of like lane-splitting for motorcycles.
  16. Turning/moving left - left hand out.
    Turning/moving right - right hand out.
    Stopping/slowing - either hand raised (think cheesy commando movie signal to stop.)

That's how it was when I was kid, and I've always done it since.
  17. Moto2, somewhere on BV, in black and white was a reference to a road rule that said that a cyclist *must* signal when they are turning right. The same wasn't said for turning left, except for roundabouts. I'm happy to stand corrected on the matter though.
  18. Tried trawling through the pdf file of the Australian Road Rules last night and could find no explicit references to bicycles with respect to indicating - but I could have missed it, the document is very poorly laid out.

There's a link on the BV website to a VicRoads document entitled "Road Rules for Cyclists" and the only thing that mentions is exceptions to signalling stopping.

So, I have the feeling cyclists may be required to signal both when going right and when going left. If you think about it, it makes sense even if it isn't the law, because the idea of signalling is to let other road users know what you intend to do.
  19. Cyclists only have to indicate turning right. Apparently as they always (well they should but a hoon is a hoon no matter what they're on) ride on the left of traffic, they don't need to left signal. I usually do depending on traffic conditions.

Believe it or not, needing to right indicate is the reason the front brake has to be legally on the right side for a cyclists. Apparently law makes (many moons ago!) felt that as we drive on the left in Aus, it was better to bring your bike to a stop using the rear brake with your left hand and this lets you use your right had to indicate.

In Europe, front bicycle brakes are on the left side which is how all bicycle brakes are designed for in any case. In Aus, we actually need to over bend bicycle cables to attach them to the brakes.

Many Aussie pro cyclists go to Europe and ask for their bikes to be converted after nearly crashing.
  20. That matches what I posted in the first instance so lets go with it!