Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Cycle Torque Test – Zero SR

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by NetriderBot, Aug 16, 2016.

1. The Zero SR hails the arrival of the electric era.

Tesla, carbon neutral, low emissions, driver-less cars – they are all big themes which have risen out of the past 10 years.

We have become more conscious of our carbon footprint, but we are also scared of change so it puts us in a delicate place at the moment. I suppose the proof is the disproportionate interest in Tesla, but unless you charge from solar panels or essentially live off the grid, we all still heavily depend on fossil fuels in one way or another. I am here to tell you however, electric vehicles have well and truly arrived and the Zero company (whose name is derived from the idea of zero emissions) is a long-term player in the motorcycle game.

Zero builds electric bikes in Santa Cruz, California and has been doing so since 2007. Over nine years Zero has pretty much led the way in practical, electric motorcycling.

Because of that experience, the Zero SR is one of the most advanced electric bikes on the consumer market – so this is more a comparison of electric versus the rest. Because the riding experience is so different to the norm I want to get straight to the bike.

Whip it good

The first thing I was curious about was the throttle response.

Riding a conventional motorcycle (with a combustion engine) is so intuitive to an experienced rider, the feeling is ingrained. With the Zero SR I wasn’t sure whether to expect it to ‘snap on’ or be easier to manage.

In this respect, the Zero SR nails it above all others. It changes what motorcycling has been all about because it takes away so much of the conventional thinking about riding. From a standing start, in the middle of corners, roll-ons, anything – the response is silky smooth and predictable every time. There are no gears, no clutch, no ‘fuel’… the sound is even a radical departure from the norm. Just twist and go.

It gives you this feeling of being über connected to the machine – riding by a process of dissonance when these variables have been removed – it is unlike anything else I have ever ridden.

The post Cycle Torque Test – Zero SR appeared first on Cycle Torque Magazine.

Continue reading...
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Yeah I'm curious about these, would love to ride one to see what it feels like. But would certainly miss the noise and basic mechanicals (gears etc) of a regular bike. Plus the price is, as noted, shocking (pun intended). If these were mid-teens might be worth a think about, particularly as a commuter, with some fun on weekends.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. This is my problem, I love shifting through the gears, roll off, pull in clutch, click up/down. It feels satisfying to me, I would miss that on an electric bike. Same reason I wouldn't get a quickshifter (unless racing of course).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. looks fun
  5. Just waiting for riderless bikes now...
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. OK, cynicism aside, I saw my first one of these on the road this morning. I certainly didn't hear him (almost silent).
    I can see where it could fit into many peoples idea of riding. Commuting would be a doddle - so long as you have access to mains power at each end of the ride.
    This could be a iimiting factor as I cannot see that many employers volunteering to take on the extra power bills as a goodwill gesture. But a lot of potential owners may have short enough trips to make it there and back to recharge. I'm a little bit surprised at the amount of power that MAY required for recharging - it doesn't sound like the 'cost of a lighbulb' figure that has been bandied around when you look a bit further into it. But I don't suppose there is much consumer experience yet to make a judgement on.
    Likewise with battery service life expectations.
    For now, I could see these things taking over the scooter market to some extent. But only if the price of entry undergoes radical transformation. Sport riding, dirt bikes...? Probably. Touring? Not quite yet.
  7. A portable powerbank thingie in a backpack??

8. And as a result, shoulders the size of Schwarzenneger....
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. 144 torques ... Mmmmm
  10. Perhaps if quick interchangeable batteries (power packs )were available from service stations then the recharging would not be a problem . Could even be faster than filling your tank with petrol.