Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CX500 Cafe build

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Cafe Steve, Sep 8, 2009.

1. #1 Cafe Steve, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    I bought myself a CX500 a couple of months ago after not having a bike for about 5 years, I really like twins but my budget was limited. I looked around for a few months and picked this up from ebay in QLD, Toowoomba. Cost me $425 and a road trip from Sydney (picked up two bikes and a diff for my Jeep so was worth it). It was a runner and had rego, the owner commuted on it so it was mechanically pretty sound but aesthetically rough, just what I wanted as I had a lot of plans.

Anyway onto some pics.

As I bought it. Ugly, multi-coloured and looking perfect for a beater courier bike ;)

[​IMG]

As it sits now, although the mufflers are off with reverse cones sitting in the garage waiting to go on this weekend. It has clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and mounts, AceWell gauge, RocCity Cafe seat (yet to be mounted properly and trimmed), Enfield gas shocks and a few other bits and pieces. I've also lowered the forks through the trees and removed the crash bars. The frame has also been modified for the seat. So far the total cost is under $1000 and the basics are almost done for rego. Then it's a complete strip down for paint, polish and chrome.

So still heaps to do but the 'look' is getting there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some vids, first is the Acewell gauge in action

[media=youtube]CMHyHGAl1ak[/media]

Second is the CX fired up without the mufflers after fiddling with the carbs.

[media=youtube]wxJ_SJh4Dk4[/media]

Cheers
    Steve

2. Looks awesome already mate! I'll be watching with interest. Makes me wish I had a disposable income again, but alas, Uni restricts me to only one bike.

3. Love the seat, suits the lines of the bike well.

What have you got planned? Paint it black, drill the mufflers out so it won't attract homo's?

4. Those mufflers are in the bin already, got a set of these waiting to go on just need to make some mods to the crossover pipe section as it was welded to the old mufflers.

Good thing is the cone is removable and the baffling can be adjusted for blueslip or road ;)

[​IMG]

Paint I'm think British Racing Green and black at the moment. Seat and tank green. The headers will be black and wrapped in header tape, wheels will be black frame black engine silver with some polished bits.

Cheers
    Steve

5. Sounds good mate!

Just don't wrap the headers all the way to the head. Killed my SR by doing that...

6. From what I hear of the CX it'll be interesting to see what you think of it in a racing set-up, doesn't sound like their forte, will be interested to hear. Otherwise they sound like quite a nice bike (or quite hateful, depending on which side you stand on the line they seem to draw between people!). I saw one a few years ago (in teh golden age before people brought up every old bike around for the cafe project, and before LAMS raised the prices on mid-weight bikes) it was a Special, immaculate and with an arm-chair for a seat. $1600! God I often think of that bike!

7. Cafe Racer may be a bit of a big call, lets just say Cafe style, although it will do the Ton ;)

Anyway, welded some pipe to the old H box so I could slip my new mufflers on, louder than I thought and a bit tinny so I'll bafle them a little more and see how it goes.

Some pics with the new mufflers, the nice clean bit of exhaust between pipe and muffler is the new section I welded in. It kicks the mufflers out and up a bit which I think gives it a nice line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Steve

8. Fantastic mate! Looks gorgeous, can't wait to see the finished product.

9. See, you CAN make a silk purse out of a sow's ear :LOL:

nice project, mate, looking forward to seeing the ?finished? product

10. #10 Cafe Steve, Sep 12, 2009
    Me too ;) Still a way to go but it's getting there.

Anyway a video so you guys can hear what it sounds like, I think I'll need to pack the mufflers a bit for the blue slip though.

hRbts1jY8VU[/media]]Emgo Reverse Cone Mufflers vid

Cheers
    Steve

11. Welded up my frame for the fibreglass seat to mount onto, then tested it. No flex and all feels solid.

Here's the pics, the frame will be removable and the seat will bolt to the frame, just need to weld some tabs on to it to mount the seat onto. The front of the frame will have a plate on it that will slip under the tank mount like the stock seat does, the rear will have tabs welded to it that will bolt to some stock nuts on the bike frame. Another step almost done.

[​IMG]

Once the seat is padded I'll look at moving the pegs if I need to.

[​IMG]

And without me, I'll need to figure out something to fill the gap between seat and frame but it's waaaaaay down the list at the moment.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Steve

12. Unreal! Sounds mean too.

13. Just a plate down each side painted black would be the easiest, wouldn't it?

Unless you were feeling handy with some fibreglass and make new sidecovers that are a few inches taller?

14. New side covers are going to be made anyway so might try and cover up the gap, I just think sheet of black steel will look a bit average.

Cheers
    Steve

15. 'Spose the good thing about that is you could continue the lines of the seat with the sidecover...

16. There was a comment made in one of the bike magazines years ago that "if we bought the bike we needed we'd all be riding a CX500".

Not the prettiest or fastest but one of those go anywhere do anything bikes (hece beloved of couriers) that could be ridden hard without too many consequences.

I think you are going to end up with a rather nice cafe style bike - probably the best way to improve the looks on the CX. :wink:

17. #17 Cafe Steve, Sep 15, 2009
    Took the bike down the culdesac and back again, didn't take it out of first as I had no gear on but being a dead end street didn't worry too much, I could have ridden the pushy faster ;) This is the first time it's moved more than a few meters since I took it off the trailer when I brought it home. I'll have to gear up on the weekend and take it for a proper spin up the street, it sounds too nice to just have it idle in the driveway...

The seat is just stuck to the frame with double sided tape until I'm sure of positioning and have the tabs welded on

[media=youtube]yEcb5WwCYgc[/media]

Cheers
    Steve

18. Well it's been a while but I decided to get in a skip and clean out the garage, now I've got a 2 1/2 car garage with plenty of room to work on the bike so can get stuck into it :)

Anyway, got my bar end mirrors from ebay, very happy with them and look much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully get some more done this weekend and get closer to that blueslip.

Cheers
    Steve

19. I'm liking the look of this very much Steve! (y)

20. Project is looking good Steve, keep up the good work!

I have often thought about a CX or a Guzzi as a cafe racer, but the thing that strikes me is that most of the weight would be in the engine, right? Have you been able to cut much weight?