Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cute = ugly but interesting

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hornet, Sep 21, 2005.

1. This 'cute' bike was shown at the Automotive design concepts at Euromold 99, Frankfurt
    Very impractical, and the Guzzi engine looks HUGE in comparison to the carbon-fibre frame, but does it point the way anywhere?

2. If it does point the way anywhere, a look at that front end makes me wonder how exactly?
  3. Does that POS work off mind control or something?

What a waste of carbon fibre.
  4. Yep, towards the rear wheel. Get this horrible image of having your but slide down the frame and onto the wheel at 100kph+ :shock:
  5. yeah, i'm wondering the same thing :?

maybe its like for some kind of new extreme sport or something 'bike surfing'. stand on it, get your mates to push start it and then surf away :D

ok, fair enuff :oops:
  6. It's obviously a design concept to show the uses of carbon fibre, but with this sort of idea floating around, can a monocoque carbon-fibre bike be far away?
  7. Its already been done. I remember seeing it a few years ago. Made by a couple of uni students, powered by a VTR motor if I remember correctly. Weighed bugger all and was very stiff (you should like it skuff...sitting on a nice stiff one :LOL: :LOL:) . Went like a rocket too and Honda hired the 2 guys responsible. Havent heard anyhthing since.
  8. that answers that, so we wait.........
    (hmm, just imagine a 130kg 600....)
  9. Biggest disadvatange to the use of carbon fibre (apart from its poor compressive strength) is that, like fibreglass, it doesn't take kindy to repeated loading and unloading of stresses. Over time this causes the carbon strands to begin to seperate from the resin matrix leading eventually to total failure. Producing a bike frame from carbon fibre would reduce weight but it would also have a limited lifespan after which it would have to be replaced.
  10. Ok, so it's aluminium and steel for the foreseeable future, thanks for that jd!
  11. Isn't that what happened to that Britten (i think) bike, that New Zealand bloke made. It kicked butt in America due to its Carbon fibre use and its cantalever front end, but it did break in half in testing.

**Edit** But i have seen a few photos of 04/05 GSX-R1000 frames broken in two after light accidents - but the Britten was only under acceleration, not impacting anying.
  12. While not disagreeing with any specific of the above, I can't help wondering that if it is possible to build the the new Joint Strike Fighter almost entirely of composites, including a version capable of surviving the repeated stress of hitting a carrier deck at 100knots and decelerating in less than 100 feet. It cannot be beyond the wit of man to build a composite motorcycle frame.
  13. Simple, the military spends obscenely large sums of money constantly checking the condition of all components of the aircraft and replace any that are beginning to show signs of damage before they fail. Not saying carbon fibre wouldn't work on a road bike - but do you really want to replace the frame every 12 months (or less)?
  14. Sorry, but it's not quite that simple. There are numerous composite civil aircraft in everyday use, some are even competition aerobatic types with stress limits of +14 -12G. I have flown several myself. Life'd components on an aircraft are strictly controlled by regulation, and aircraft like the Lancair and Burt Rutans designs just don't have any.
  15. The Britten was designed by the late John Britten in Christchurch New Zealand with (at the time)the sole purpose of winning the Battle of the Twins in Daytona ,which it did after the third attempt.
    The Bike was built using Kevlar strands held with epoxy resin(I think) and was extremly light and bloody quick.The engine was also hand built by John Britten.
    On testing, before it went to the States for the second attempt, the front suspension collapesed (I think that it had a similar setup to some of the latest B.M.W.)
    It collapsed around the eye that held the cantilever to the frame. It performed well after that and went on to great things. The motorcycling world lost a great when John died of Cancer.
  16. I'm guessing that composite materials on civil aircraft are probably limited to aircraft skins and control surfaces, the frame itself (which carries most of the load) is still probably alloy. Anyway making a light civilian aircraft using composites shouldn't be difficult compared to designing a military aircraft capable of carrying several tonnes of ordanance and still executing high speed maneouvers. There has been at least one instance of a stealth fighter losing its entire tail during normal flight at an airshow so failures in composite aircraft do occur. The US military loses numerous planes each year in accidents but it's never revealed how many of these are the result of failure due to kevlar delamination.
  17. Numerous inaccuracies here. Composite aircraft do not have any framing whatsoever except composite bulkeads. The wings use composite box spars and composite skins. There are even composite propellors now in use.
    Composite civil aircraft are not all "light", there are several 8 t0 12 seat types certified, and even if it were true that they were all "light" the MTOW of an aircraft his little bearing on the stress it must withstand. A small 260HP Walters Xtra competition aerobatic aircraft actually suffers greater stress during a sequence than an F16 at its highest rate of turn.

The 'Stealth Fighter' is not all composite by any means, this aircraft was designed in the early 1970's using materials advanced at the time, but pretty basic today.

You are also incorrect about the reporting of military aircraft accidents. All pilots receive regular bulletins from their governing authorities on every aircraft accident in their county including military ones, and are required to read these by law. I get three as I have Australian, American, and British flight crew licences. The only deletions are with regard to classified systems such as avionics and ordnance. Where a deletion is made it is stated in the report.

If you are interested I would be happy to provide links to a dozen manufacturers of composite aircraft. Most of the pioneering work was done by Burt Rutan and his company scaled composites

He was selling fully composite aircraft like the Longeze and Varieze in the 1970's
  18. Not all of them, my aircraft (a factory built Jabiru which I had VH reg, but it's now 55- reg... cheaper) isn't just composite skin and control surfaces... it is effectivly framless and relies on the fibreglass for structure in a similar manner to the way that speed boats have been built for decades.

In fact if you look at new registrations of either light VH or UL aircraft in Australia you'll find composite craft outnumber other materials.

There are any number of models of similar light aircraft built in much the same way and an increasing number of light aircraft built from carbon fibre composites, not merely fibreglass composite like mine.
  19. See my post above....
  20. Okay you need to be specific when referring to composites, I'm not familiar with what exactly is currently being used (composite could mean plywood after all). My original criticism was in delamination of carbon-fibre which IS a common problem. If an aircraft is using Kevlar (aramid fibres) the severity of delamination will depend on the matrix resin used but it will still occur after a certain number of load cycles, just might take longer than carbon fibre. The cost of Kevlar is also still too high to make it viable for motorcycle frame construction.
    Fine, but the F-16 can still carry a significant amount of weight on the wings which generates substantial torque and stress, far more so than a few passengers inside the fuselage.
    One of the earliest uses of Kevlar (aramid having been discovered in 1965) to help in reducing radar signature.