Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Customising 2010 Honda VT 750S

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Vajrayudha, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Hello Everyone!

I've been riding a Honda VT 750S in Sydney for about a year now. Here's a picture of my ride as it stands today: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AJiM_XcS-zzyer0&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

I've been mulling over replacing the exhaust or getting slip ons ever since I bought the bike. Any recommendations on which one to get? Would it be better to procure it online or go to MCAS? I live in West Pennant Hills, so MCAS Auburn is pretty close by...

I also want to get forward controls and replace the handle bar to suit a more relaxed posture on the bike.

I am an absolute newbie here - to an extent where I have no idea where to go or what to get. So any and all advise would be sincerely appreciated.

2. #2 Womble, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    I'd put short pipes on to show off the spoked rear wheel.
    It looks fussy with the sissy bar, screen and pannier racks so I'd remove them and refit as needed.
    Fit a single seat and go for a cleaner looking bobber style.

3. Aye, I've been meaning to get rid of the sissy bar, pannier racks and the screen as well.

Short pipes, yes. Any recommendations on the make and model? I read on an older thread that Vance and Hines don't make anything that fits a VT750S. Has anyone tried fitting a Vance and Hines pipe with the same metrics?

Also is there any place around Sydney that could serve as a one stop shop for sourcing and fitting these accessories?

4. Have a word with Denis Foran for the pipes - he makes them for Deus and others.
    Address: Unit 3, 14 Luke Close, West Gosford NSW 2250
    Phone 02 4325 0614

5. What they said, but add in flat tracker bars with a riser to suit you.

If you do put new pipes don't forget to change to an aftermarket hi flow air filter and change the fueling to suit (I can't remember if these are carby or FI)

6. Need to be a little bit careful with these. Honda did funny things with hidden cross pipes and backflow etc over the years.

7. Hi Vajrayudha, I have the same bike new in 2013 so still under warranty. I'll be customising it from mid next year and will likely go the bobber route - shorty pipes, short and low handlebar with bar-end mirrors, single seat moved further back, lowered rear suspension, raised pegs to maintain ground clearance, modified fenders, new tailight assembly and less obtrusive blinkers, custom paint.

Cobra make 3 types of exhausts for the VT750s costing $550 to $700 depending on how good you shop. They also have a less restrictive air filter (about $200) and a new module for the fuel injection which you'll need to stop it running lean. Performance gains won't be much and, if you want to do mods for bigger horsepower, you may as well save the considerable expense and just get a more powerful bike.

2 cost-free mods are:

1. remove all the snorkel crap behind the air cleaner. Vibration will increase and you have to be careful in rain as the paper filter is much more exposed. However, you get a very nice induction roar and the sense of a slightly more responsive throttle, and more of the engine is on view.

2. the saw-hole mod where you use a 2" circular drill bit to remove the baffle from the rear of the exhaust. Heaps of examples on youtube. This will increase exhaust noise to illegal levels so take into account that you might need to buy a new factory exhaust if defected.

I don't know why you'd want forward controls as this almost certainly won't make the bike more comfortable than it's current 'standard' triangle. Anyway, your call and good luck.

One more thing, when scouring the net for advice and ideas, make sure you search under 'Honda Shadow RS' which is the American name for the same bike.

8. Wow! Thanks a lot for all the input guys, I really appreciate it! :)

I'm convinced to go with a bobber look! Thanks for the heads up on Denis Foran and the American name, helped a lot!

I think I'll do some research and consider my options carefully before I do anything. The bike has a lot of sentimental value so I'm not gonna be trading it in anytime in the near foreseeable future.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress as I go along.

Once again, thank you all so very much for taking the time and making the effort to share your invaluable insight :)

I'd be lost without you guys, thanks again!

9. Hi Iam new to here, Iam looking for a luggage rack to suit, what I can find appears to be Chinese and expensive and not much information, any body have any experiences that might help me, cheers