Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Custom Sproket C A D file and material?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by dave_vic_ozz, Feb 4, 2010.

1. I am after a Sprocket drawing in CAD.

Has anyone seen these on the web?
    Any file will do as it can be modified. I just need a start.

What material should I Laser cut it from?

Thanks in advance.

2. Kilo86

Thanks for the link.

Just have to find the material.

3. Having done basic engineering, physics and chemistry courses I'd hazard a guess at using either high-tensile or mild steel. My bet would be on mild steel, as its general usage is as a tough-application material, tooling mainly.

Don't rely on that, have a chat to the guys that will make your sproket, assuming you arent doing it yourself.

Cheers - boingk
  4. Bisalloy plate is about the best

Sprotors are made from 431 stainless

PS do not water jet cut them sprockets need to be hobbed to ensure concentricity and acurate form generation. no cusping allowed on the cuts

you may be better off wire cutting them just costs more

good luck with it
  5. LoL I have made sprocket using a bench drill and a junk steel plate (mild I think).. Ok it was for a 125 Chinese pit bike... but it is still on the bike (the engine is dead now).
  6. Haa Haaa Haaaa yep been there, done that too

6 mm chequer plate SOHC honda 750 and no teeth left on the sprocket.

6 hours of piece and quite latter get to work on monday

Drill, file, and a nice selection of files. didnt look pretty or sound the best but it lasted a fornight till payday Ha Ha it was still hanging on the wall till recently

7. Thanks for the tips. I have been told of a place in QLD who does them. I realise now the sprocket needs to be about 400mm diameter for a hill climber.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave d.