Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

custom luggage rack

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by jimmybav, Jun 14, 2007.

1. have been looking for ages to put a luggage on my ZZR250 but due to lots of different things I have had no luch. I need the rack to mount an RJAYS top box to the bike (preferable over the pillion seat). Cant really see the point in buying a new ventura rack to cut into small pieces so that it can be adapted.

Anyone have some ideas about where I could get some custom top box mounts made?

Anyone ever done this?

any tips at all?

2. Why not just use a standard rack?

The zzr has four mounting points (two on each side) just below the pillion seat. If you really want the rack to sit on the seat, get a metal fabricator to make up a frame that goes up and across the seat side to side, with a flat plate on the top to mount the box to. Bolt into the mounting points.

3. my main reason for not wanting to use a standard rack was that I wanted to have a hard case (i.e. the top box mounted) which I couldn't do with the standard set u and secondly so that the weight is over the back wheel rather than being over the back of the bike altogether.

I know I sound like a whiner but I dont want to settle for second best on this one. I think it must be able to be done.

Cheers for the advice on the luggage hooks. It will be a big help for me.

Jim

4. what do you mean when you say you'd have to cut up a ventura rack to make it fit??? Couldnt you just buy a ventura rack thats made specially for the ZZR???

5. Fibreglass, carbonfibre or carbon kevlar are your best bet.

If I have enough time in the holidays (Uni) I could make sum up....

If you could post a pic or two of the mounting on the bike and the top box like push in clip holes or screw holes I could give you an estimate although it could take me up to 2 months to make it depending on how many issues I have with the plug/mould.

The finish on carbon fibre would be sweet as... :cool: Expect to pay $200+ for carbon fibre and about half that for fibreglass.

6. whadaya mean!?!?! extra weight further back makes for easier wheelies! :grin:

7. if you use a Ventura rack the rack piece is either positioned behind the pillion seat or can be turned around and placed over the pillion seat

8. yeah I understand but even the smallest reack from ventura does not accommodate the mounting plate for a top box and there is only so much security and waterproofing (as well as carrying capacity) that can be achieved with a bag.

9. um, forgive my noobness but ventura racks do not officially accomodate topboxes. some mods would definately be required. imo, it would probably look shithouse!

look up 'alu-rack' from 'twistedthrottle.com', i think. may or may not be of use for your bike. maybe even a 'givi.'

10. if you cant fit all your shit for the ride in your pockets, you have too much female DNA :p :p :p

11. Yeah.... all racks look pretty dodge...

UNLESS its custom made for your bike that is...:wink:

12. he's right, though, any of the Ventura racks will only support about half of a top box base, no matter how small.

So, go to a wrecker and see if you can pick up a second-hand Ventura (after buying a new one for mounting brackets, etc,) go to a fabricator and get him to cut off the vertical 'hoop', and you'll be able to attach the top-box centrally on the horizontal section.

see if you can get one of these;
    sracksm. and it will be easy to modify. You could even get the removed vertical hoop welded back on horizontally and support virtually all of the top box.