Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cush Drive Sprockets

Discussion in 'Supermoto' started by Takamii, Aug 3, 2012.

1. from another forum

Kush® sprockets were built to dampen the drive-train of Enduro, Supermoto/ Motard and other dirt bikes ridden on road(without a cushioning hub), by dampening inside the rear sprocket.

To achieve this, they use an outer ring which is dampened from the inside plate by a set of polyurethane dampeners.

This has been shown to give longer gear life, with the added benefit of less chain/sprocket wear and less wheel hop during compression braking.

Kush sprockets are Australian engineer designed and tested. They use nitride hardened SCr440 alloy steel teeth and a 7075 aluminium carrier.

To allow the outer toothed ring to rotate freely, ball bearings are housed between forged/sealed bearing races and the outer ring. Their rotation is cushioned by high performance polyurethane dampeners, providing high-cycle endurance and low compression set.

They are designed to withstand a torque of 900 NM.

Kush sprockets are garanteed against manufacturing faults or defects for the life of the sprocket.

2. hmm wonder if they'd be ok on the norm bike? seems like a good method of extending life of the sprocket
  3. Very cool idea.....

Get one for the Tard?
  4. yes I will get one to try them out - plus aussie inventor and manufacturer so thats a bonus
  5. ^ Agreed
  6. manufactuers have used rubber dampening in sprockets for a while,
    usually on the drive sprocket.

the bearings however??? wonder how much power it will take before it chews out the rubber (polyurethane) specially from abuse (i.e. clutch ups etc...)
  7. I think two cush drives would be a bit redundant, it could also introduce a lot of slop in the drive train.

900NM of torque they claim, that's a lot.

Anyway, how often do you change sprockets? Only needs to last til the next sprocket change :)

At 2 x the price of an a/m regular sprocket I can see that adding up pretty quickly... Of course, it's cheaper than a Chain Gang sprocket & other trick a/m stuff.
  8. I can see these being very popular in Europe and the US where it's much easier (ie possible) to get a pukka dirt bike registered for the road. This way, putting a proper cush drive in is a relatively cheap bolt-on rather than a major engineering job or a parts matching exercise.
  9. Tak let me know how this goes! I will buy one for the WR if its needed on the road!