Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Curiosity Mars landing...

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by phongus, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section Moderators. I put it here because this is not bike related and thus I didn't put it in the multimedia section.

For those who are interested in astronomy and the science of space, you can watch live streaming of the events unfolding here.

http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

You can also watch live data streaming of the spacecrafts, altitude, velocity etc while on approach here

eyes.nasa.gov

I find this stuff fascinating and thought I'd share for any like minded people.

Enjoy!

2. And they find.....

Attached Files:

3. Entry is NOW!

4. That was super cool. I've always been a huge space nerd, went to space camp and everything as a kid, so I normally take time off work to watch this sort of thing :)

5. That was awesome :D. The first image (64x64) was great...then came the high res...amazeballs! Lucky not much happening at work, then again work encouraged to watch :D...shweeet.

6. If you're interested in photos being taken my Curiosity. You can see it at this website

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/raw/

It seems the site is down at the moment...I assume due to high traffic.

7. Any links to other sites mirroring the pics?

8. This was brilliant, thanks for the links - completely by accident, I arrived to do some "work-from-home" just in time to catch it.
    Oh yeah, that's right - I need to produce some scripts before morning...

9. EDIT: Looks like the website is up and running now, with thumbnails working only

Unfortunately the pictures haven't been uploaded to the website.

However I found some pictures from news websites.

lp-mars1-20120806154746454981.

This is the high resolution image of the first picture sent through (first was a 64x64 thumbnail).

[​IMG]

This is the second HR image that was sent through. I think was the rear facing camera of Curiosity.

10. Amazing, I hate to admit this but I remember watching man's first step on the moon on my little black and white thinking, one day I'm going to do something super special like that, still haven't....

11. To add, the images had a dust cap on it, hence lots of dust/grains on the images. This is due the thrusters used during their new technique of landing a rover. Considering the highly complex deployment system, I applaud their great work on getting a 900kg robot to land on time and in their target area while sitting 80 million kilometers away.

I await the day humans are sent there...I sure hope in my life time :).

12. ABC 24 is showing a live conference now.

13. Did I hear correctly on what John Grunsfeld (Head of Space Science) said?

"This is something that only the United States of America can do."

Now I know they achieved something great and deserve a pat on the back, but really? Only USA?

14. To be fair, he's not wrong, at least for now.

15. I guess so...no one else funds space science like they have. Lets hope other countries get involved more into space science.

16. Give him time, but Richard Branson will get commercial flights there before long. lol

17. Why send a rover when you can send a whole bunch of scientists? hahaha

18. At last, after two thousand years of research, the illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator.

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

Attached Files: