Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cup Weekend Through Khancoban - Nov 2006

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by Jo, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. Friday 3rd November

    We didn’t start our adventure until 3pm on Friday – Nev had to sleep off the night shift and I had to do enough hours to make up the quota. :(

    We were planning to head towards Nagambie - I love the lake and the wooden bridge across Nagambie Lake. Nev’s tom-tom navigated us through Nagambie avoiding the Hume Highway. Around Broadford I think we crossed the highway about three times. Some of the road were just one lane but certainly interesting. We stopped at Goulburn Weir to check out the site. Water was flowing through the weir but not much. We went though the area 18 months ago but never stopped.



    We made it through Shepparton and the tom-tom navigated us to the Art Centre. When we saw decorated cows we had to stop and take some tourist pictures! Some of the paint works were outstanding! I think I got some funny look as people drove past as we were so excited with the art work.

    Yarrawonga was the final destination for the afternoon. We stayed in one of the local hotel/motel and enjoy the walk across Lake Mulwala. I never knew there was such a big lake in regional Victoria/NSW.


    Saturday 4th November
    On Saturday we’re heading to Khancoban only about 300k’s from Yarrawonga. As we made our way to Albury we stopped at a town called “Howlong”. It always bring a smile to my face when I see town name like that – always wondering how or why the town was name that way.

    Just outside Albury we stopped at another water feature - Horsehoe Lagoon. You can’t do much at the lagoon!
    The trip is getting a familiar them – inspection of our water resource!

    The next water feature is Hume Weir. The water level is certain very low. As we head to Bellbridge we saw a sign “Bridge Closed between 10 -12pm every Saturday”! Not a good sign as it’s 10.15AM and it’s a Saturday. We still forge ahead hoping that the workmen still let us through. When we got to the foot of the bridge – we were relieved as the sign said “No road work 3-7th November”! The workmen were having a long weekend as well. We were there 6 months ago and a lot of progressed since then. They’ve replaced the steel structure and road. On some section we can the unsealed joins between 2 slabs of concrete and see right through to the water level!

    We stopped at Kurrajong Gap Lookout and Nev claimed his new throne!
    The view over Hume Weir and surrounding areas wasn’t bad either.

    The aim was to follow the River Road all the way to Tintaldra. The effect of the drought has quite an affect along the river. We can see the “old fence” line because the water level is so low!

    The ride along the river was great except for the occasional gravel patches. I saw my first live snake be by the side of the road – even though the snake was trying to get away from the road as we passed my feet was further away from the road than normal :( My previous encounter with snake was either in the car or they were dead! It still sends a shiver down my neck as I post this.

    We arrived at Tintaldra at lunch time but no food! Since we were only 40k’s from Khancoban we decided to head straight to our destination and enjoy the “switchyard special”!
    We set up the tent at the caravan park and it was getting hot. Not much shade around the camp area but managed to find a spot near a tree – only so I can sit under the shade and sleep! Nev wasn’t going to let me sleep the afternoon away so we decided to ride to Murray 1 power plant about 10 k’s from the town. The visitor centre was interesting but the ice-cream was much better :)

    By the time we returned to camp the others still have not arrived and it was getting hotter still. I decided that the best way to deal with the heat was to lie under the shaded tree and listen to the ipod. What did you we before ipod came into our lives?!? A few other motorcycle groups were using Khancoban as a base for the weekend so any time a bike pass I would look-up but no-one we know. About 5pm a bike with an esky on the back confirmed it was Nigel thus Moira and the others have arrived. As we settled on the comfy chair Dave turn up – initially wondered if it was “Whitey”. “Whitey” didn’t turn up much later!

    It turns out be a Suzuki get-together! Glith, Marty, Goodie, Nigel, Tim, Moira, Dave were on Suzuki. Whitey and Nev were both on Honda Blackbirds and lonely me on the beemer. I feel quite out of place as the Victoria BWM Motorcycle club was also there for the weekend.

    Sunday 5th November
    We woke to a beautiful Sunday morning. One of the things we wanted to on the trip was to test the Orikasi folding bowls. They work quite well with instant soup !

    The bowl was stable as it sits on the grass. It was fairly but not more than any other type of bowls. Placing a piece of paper underneath works kept the heat to a manageable level. The best thing about it was how quickly it flattens out and clean.

    Sunday was riding day as well and the group decided to do the loop but in the opposite direction to the BWM group ride. As we reached Dead Horse Gap it was getting quite chilly compare to the boiling heat in Khancoban. There was some snow up the mountains. While we stopped at the gap – Nigel and Khancoban071.

    then Marty took Goodie’s “g-strom” for a test ride.

    We initially by-pass Jindabyne and made it to Charlotte Pass. Glitch tried to talk them out of charging us the $6 entry but to no-avail. Thanks Glitch for taking care of the fees as we all head straight to Charlotte Pass. We can be Mt Kosciusko but no plan to walk the 6k’s to get there! Even managed a group photo Khancoban086.

    ... not sure what Marty was trying to point to us.. Khancoban091.

    ... the view was spectacular as always - Khancoban087a.

    We stopped at Jindabyne for lunch. It was quite a surprised to see Loz and Co were also resting at the same spot. I was a bit depressed to hear that Lenna had an accident on the previous day at the Black Spur.

    After lunch we continued to Berridale. Unfortunately between Berridale and Adaminably we stopped to see if we can assist a down-rider. His zx-14 was quite a mess on the left-hand side. The rider was lying on the grass but at least he was conscious and hands were moving. After assessing that we can’t do anything more as his friends and some locals were organizing ambulance we continued on. The news of a down rider and seeing first hand another rider down certain affected my riding for the afternoon.


    We all stopped at Cabramurra and saw another group of riders already there. They were the same group we’ve encountered at each of our stops during the day. I wonder how the town managed to survive as there no one there apart from the store keeper.

    Marty's trying to clean off the graffiti..

    As we made our way back to camp the camera came out. I never knew when I get around a corner someone is lying beside the road with the camera in hand. I once didn’t see Goodie until I saw the flash went off.


    I was looking forward to see Kangaroo by the side of the road but didn’t see any – only a very dead wombat with four paws pointed in the air.


    Monday 6th November
    It’s the end of our stay in Khancoban. Nev and I decided to take the coast back to Melbourne we were hoping to take the Bonang Highway. Whitey rode with us as far as Jindabyne. The change in weather was a bit of a disappointment as by the time we made it to Thredbo it was very cold and drizzling:(

    We rested at Cooma and a few vintage cars were also stopping in the same town. Those vintage cars were quite a sight!

    The plan was to get to Bombala before we decide if we would tackle to Bonag Highway as the weather was a bit unpredictable. Nev decided to take a detour to Brown Mountain but as we reached the top the road was a bit damp and there was quite a traffic jam. Apparently a ute had loss it way and head straight down the embankment.

    We navigated to the front of the queue to wait for the road to clear. It was good timing as Nev can see a gap enough to get the bikes through. As we approach the gap the cop was still right in the middle of the gap and as we got closer he turned looking at us and casually walked out of the way to let us pass :) Since all the cars were stuck at the accident it was a smooth ride down the mountain. Shame the road was a bit wet due to the constant drizzle.

    As we headed to Dalgety it looks like we were heading straight into the rain… better put on our wet gear while we’re still dry.
    We must have been a site as the cows approach the gate as we put our gear on. Nev decided that he wants to get closer but the cows would not come any closer if we were at the gate. As we moved back to our bikes the cows would come closer to the gate.


    Lunch at Dalgety was a quite one – there wasn’t much of a choice so decided to buy some bread, ham, cheese and tomatoes and make our own sandwich. The road through Wynyard to Bombala was a bit wet in some area. By the time we reach Bombala it was completely dry. As we fuel up we had to make a decision if we would take the Bonang Highway. The first time and only time I went through the highway it was wet and muddy at the dirt section. The corners were all churned up and trying to navigate through was quite a challenge. Since Bombala was dry I made the executive decision to risk it – I did promise Marty that I would place the netrider sticker at the infamous “105 km” sign!


    It was a good thing that we took the Bonang as it was dry and there were very little traffic. The 20 k’s of dirt was a bit dusty but nothing to worry about. The traffic was light and we also saw 4 cars along the way.


    We made to Orbost and I was exhausted but very satisfied.
  2. Good report.

    Our club was up there too. Remember commenting on the Strom. We were the guys all on sport bikes.