Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD CTP Question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by hughhurst1990, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hey,

This morning I was riding my motorbike to work and noticed some bicycles cutting across lanes (seemingly) without looking. This got me thinking; if I was riding my motorbike (which I pay CTP on as a part of my rego) and a bicycle rider comes out of nowhere and I hit him, who is liable for the damages done to my body?

Main Roads website says that ctp "indemnifies vehicle owners and drivers who are legally liable for personal injury to any other party in the event of a motor vehicle accident." ( http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registrat...tering-motor-vehicles-and-motorbikes.aspx#ctp )

Since I pay CTP with rego, the bicycle rider is covered for his/her injuries. The bicycle rider pays no CTP (no rego) so what happens to me?

P.s. I know the situation I have stated above is extremely unlikely and I would of course be looking out for anything like that, but I am human and I can miss things. I just want to know where we stand legally.

P.p.s I also did a search for a similar topic but the search tool showed 0 results. Sorry if something similar has been asked already.
  2. Ask Shane Warne?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I guess your insurance would pay for it and chase the cyclist the cash?
    • Like Like x 2
  4. This is why I think CTP should be paid with your license and not with rego and cyclist should have to have a license to ride on the road (perhaps a seperate class for bicycle only license)

That way whichever vehicle you are in control of you are covered whether it is out of rego or not.
  5. I had never thought of that, but that's a really good idea! Would make getting your license considerably more expensive though. Also people who don't own a car/bike would biatch and moan about it..
  6. Should all come under Medicare.
    Two words. Civil Action lol.
    Has happened to a pedestrian being cleaned up by a push bike.
  7. Hollis v Vabu?
  8. More info?

[Edit] Just googled it, similar situation but a pedestrian doesn't pay CTP. Good to read about that one though. [/Edit]