Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crusty old new member - Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by TheGibster, May 28, 2011.

1. Sorry for being slack and posting up before introducing myself.

Any how I'm aged 50 and have been off bikes since the early 80's. Decided to try one out and If I kept the passion after a year would upgrade to a decent sports tourer eg; Z1000SX in 2012.

So anyway, late last year, October 2010, I bought a 2nd hand 2008 gsx650f and have so far done 16, 000 klms in road trips in eight weeks. Sydney, Cairns, Sydney and then Sydney to Perth via Mt Isa. My bike is currently in storage in Perth. I am just about to leave (fly back out to Perth) and continue my round trip from Perth, S.A, Victoria, Philip Island, Tasmania, Sydney. The little GSX650F budget tourer has been FANTASTIC.... during my trips so far that little motor cruised all day over distances between 600 - 1300klms at speeds of between 130 - 200 kph (between towns) and with regular oil changes has not missed a beat.

My last road bike in the 80's was kwaka B2, gpz1100. I have also owned in the 70's a 750 H2E tripple road bike and also raced motocross and short circuit in the 70's at Amaroo Park, Bilpin, Kembla, Dargle, Nepean and Londonderry on bikes such as 1973 Honda CR125, 250, and yamaha YZ125 monoshock and briefly a funny framed hagan jap 500 (speedway type bike).

I gave bikes away due to marriage and family commitments and I am so absolutely rapt that I am still alive to enjoy the new technologies and advancement afforded to motorcycles of the current era.

Thanks Gibb.

2. You're very welcome Gib, it's a pleasure to have you here.

I'm 48, have a ZX14, and fond memories of the old GPZ11. I particularly liked the one after yours (which was NOT called the B3 although everyone did. I forget what it was called ... old timers disease.)

Sadly I haven't raced - although I've always wanted to. Poverty will do that to you. I may be able to have a gentle crack at club level in the fossil class this year. Maybe...