Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by zaphius, Apr 16, 2016.

1. So I have a cb400 with just under 10k km on the odo. Picked it it this week and took it for its first proper ride yesterday. Going 80 odd kph and went to change up. Found a false neutral and let clutch out, queue much revving. Unfortunately it then decided to find the next gear with a massive crunch/rattle. I'm assuming I've done some damage, although the bike still rides and changes ok. Pretty sure there was no pressure on the shift linkage when it finally found the gear. Is this a thing that can happen? And if so, should I do anything now to lessen the damage? If the gearbox and engine oil are from a shared sump, should I drain the oil and see if there's any bits of metal in there?

As you can probably guess, I'm a bit of a noob and don't want to break a near new bike.

2. Unless you have evidence there was not necessarily any damage. You could drain the oil if you want to but unless there was some indication of damage I wouldn't bother.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. sounds like not enough lever pressure to properly find the gear?
    about the only thing that would be damaged would be the dog teeth.. if it changes fine (be decisive and follow through with gear changes), then don't worry until next oil change
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks greybm and oldcorollas. I was hoping all was ok. Just seemed so strange that it found the gear after clutch was out with no further input from me. Sounded like a sack fell of spanners when it eventually engaged too.