Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by DisgruntledDog, Nov 11, 2009.

1. What is the attraction of cruisers? I don't get or understand what the attraction of cruisers is. I don't see the point of super sports but I can see the attraction to them.

This isn't a criticism of cruisers or the people who rider them, just trying to understand. The world would be tedious if everyone had the same tastes.

2. "image" is an aspect in every motorcycle purchase. In some the image gland is more developed than others. In some it is mutated. This last group buy cruisers and Ducati's.

Personally I'm starting to see more in them as I get older. Not the blinged up over accessorised kind, but the trim street chop. It just makes more sense when I look at how I use my bike.
  3. Comfort and luxury.

In my view it is a bit like choosing a Caprice or a Clubby. One is for the distinguished and the other for the extinguished (just kidding). Both are similar but each stands out for its own reason and owners preference.
  4. For my first bike, I decided on a cruiser for a few reasons...

Image and lifestyle - I like they way they look and I'm kinda attracted to what I see as a relaxed cruising for hours on end kinda lifestyle
    I wanted a bike that was comfortable for long trips and all day riding.
    I wanted a bike that wouldn't overly encourage me to ride like a demon (how's that working for ya Luke?).
    Mine sounds awesome.

I was also mesmerised by the shininess in the shop.
  5. I get the image thing… (Well I don’t actually, I am more of a form follows function kinda guy, but I get that other people do the image thing)
    But comfort?
    I see how a Vstrom, or BMW Armchair are comfortable.
    Luxury… I see Goldwing or BMW Armchair…

I don’t see cruiser as either luxurious or comfortable.

I’ll have to be honest, I am with the dog… I just don’t get them except as some sort of nostalgic image thing.
  6. I could have gone a vstrom for similar money and had twice the performance.
    Or a low end sports like the SV650 and saved serious money for similar performance.
    In the end, it was the look that pushed it over the line.
    Now I pay the price every time I come into a corner at high speed and to be honest, I wouldn't want it any other way.
    When _I_ enter a corner chasing a sports bike and he's thinking "ho-hum", I've got the back end loose and skipping and I feel ALIVE!. :)
  7. Yeah I know what the OP means, I used to ask the same question myself. I used to laugh as I blasted past the cruisers in the hills. Slow, fat land whales!

I've had two bikes before my current cruiser apart from other loaners. I had a sports/commuter and also a RD350. So I have been through the twisties at high speed, it's thrilling and I don't knock it at all but middle age reflexes and "slowing down to enjoy the ride" mean a cruiser suits me better. I wanted comfort over speed.

Comfort: my right knee (courtesy of nasty bike accident when I was a wee lad at 19) can't sustain the usual sport/commuter bike position for more than an hour or two. I prefer the more upright and feet forward riding position, it's easier on my wrists, arms and shoulders. The footboards are fantastic for long riding, they allow for so many changes in foot position and posture I don't think I could go back to pegs again.

Image: not as important to me as in "how do I look on this?" but the fact that there are bucketloads of chrome and I love the look of the XVS650 classic, with opportunities to customize it, certainly helps. I like keeping it shiny - small things amuse small minds maybe!

Every bike is some kind of compromise, you gain in some areas and lose in others. I'm not going to be winning the race through the bends - but don't care. I want to cruise, literally, sit back and enjoy the weather, the scenery, the ride. The fact it's a sweet looking machine I'm doing it on is certainly part of the attraction.

In the end you have to ride the bike that suits, and I'm really happy with my cruiser. And BTW I wave to all bikes :wink:

PS wtf? I tried to say " s n i g g e r " instead of laugh but it got censored. Stupid expression matching software!!
  8. I rode sports bikes for 15 years, when I was younger and really enjoyed testing my skills at speed on the road. Mainly a Suzuki GS1000S and a Honda CB1100F Super Bol D'or. :biker:

When I got a job in Whyalla, and wanted to go to, and from, Adelaide as fast, and as comfortably, as possible I got a 1000GTR tourer.

Now I have a cruiser because a cruiser suits the style of riding I do now. It's laid back yet powerful. The riding position is more relaxed and promotes a more serene enjoyment of the ride without the need to race. Sportier bikeslend themselves towards a more aggressive 'racing' riding position. I 'cruise' to work, 'cruise' home on weekdays and 'cruise' around on weekends.

It's also less of a risk to the license.
  9. it's all about the image...comming out loud and proud...meeting like minded big strong men

Attached Files:

10. For some - image.

For others - lifestyle.

For me - a fat arse.
  11. Ride a cruiser for a while and get used to the differences to a sports bike, get used to not having to prove how quick you can go through the twisties. After a while you will understand. :)
  12. it's simple.... it's called evolution... I would hazard a guess that close to 90% of you will eventually finish up on a cruiser...
    At some stage due to damage or advancing years your body is going to tell you it's no longer a fun thing to ride with your belly resting on the tank and your ankles tucked under your arse...
  13. Agreed. My knee won't cope with a sportsbike or sports-tourer riding position any more and I was getting very bored with riding around a 260+kph motorbike you couldn't fully exploit (legally and keep your licence).
    I settled for an M50 Boulevard because it was comfortable (OK, will need a lammie for longer rides, but just about any bike is the same if you sit on it for long enough). It's stable, handles OK and is good for commuting and weekend rides. Not so much an image thing for me as practicality, but I do like the looks of it anyway!
    It's still quick enough to lose your licence on, but riding it at 90-110 is FUN rather than boring, as it is on a sportsbike
  14. I always liked the look of the cruisers, but the main reason for me was how close my bum is to the ground. Hence a low cruiser is very comfortable for me as I can easily touch the ground.
  15. +1

ain't that correct :)
  16. I ride a cruiser basically because it is the right height for a shortie like me. It also has a great comfy seat I could ride all day on, plenty of power (although Ive never ridden a sports bike for comparison), seems like its made just for me! Only hassle is manouvering it for parking etc, its a heavy beast when not moving. Besides, I just like the look of 'em!
  17. But there's plenty of things to ride before you need to get some pseudo American dinosaur, to be perfectly honest I'd rather ride some gay maxi scooter before before I ride one of those ugly things...
  18. Plenty of things to ride? Well mate that's the beauty of it. There's something there for everyone. What suits you - gay maxi scooter - doesn't suit others. We're all different right? And some of us * have * ridden sports bikes. Heck I've even raced a bit so it's not like I haven't experienced life on the other side.

I don't know what you ride, but if you like it that's excellent. I've known enough different riders and bikes to have heard so many different - and convincing - reasons for a person's choice of ride to have stopped judging people if their ride seems wrong to me. Same with the bikes, and think about it: the cruiser design although it wasn't always called a cruiser (relatively modern expression) has stood the test of time.

I love my cruiser!
  19. I like cruiser style bikes because I enjoy riding at a relaxed position and don't need the speed for thrills (I will still stick a car for my tracking needs). On top of that, I'm a shortie asian bloke (5'7) and I am too short for a dirt bike and I need to tip toe on a sports bike LOL!!!!! Oh and plus the wide and comfy seat :)....

Only issue I have with cruisers especially mine is the long wheelbase which makes a turning circle as large as a crop circle LOL!.....
  20. I probably got on the rant box a bit early there... I don't judge people by what they ride but I'm sick and tired of people saying when you get older you'll get one as if you suddenly lose all sense of style when you pass xx age. I'm 43 and they still look as shit as when I was 18.

Has it really stood the test of time??? no one really makes a cruiser as a day to day bike they are all marketed as lifestyle/retro options.

But to reiterate there are a whole raft of bikes to ride when when a bum up sports bike no longer suits or appeals... but to imply that the next logical step from Fireblade when you get to a certain age is a Fat Boy is obvious tosh...