Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cruiser Suggestions

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Ezz, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Hey Everyone,

New here so if I make any faux pas let me know.

Just got my P's so have a long 10 month wait until I can upgrade my bike but starting to look early. I think I must enjoy the torture of it all.. Anyway I was hoping to get some advice from some people who are a lot more experienced in this than I am.

I've always loved the look of a Cruiser and that's what I'm planning for my second bike. The things I'm looking for are:

• Comfortable Pillion seat - have to carry the girlfriend around
    • Decent range on a tank of fuel
    • Sound

My current bike is a 200cc Cruiser. Have heard from a few people that over 1,000cc bike is a good option but happy to be proven wrong.

Been into Harleys since I was given a Harley book when I was 4 and really like the look of the 883 Iron, especially in Black Denim, but I'm not tied to any particular brand. Just saw the Triumph Thunderbird Storm and that looks amazing too...

Would use it for commuting to work and longer rides on the weekend. Not looking to break any speed records but enough power to cruise comfortably at 110 with a bit of power left over.

I was hoping to get some suggestions from you guys on what I should look out for and anything to avoid. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance,
    Ezz

2. How much do you want to spend? A Harley will cost you more than a Japanese cruiser for a similar level of spec. I would look at Suzuki boulevards and Yamaha vstars. I went the vstar.

3. 200 cc cruiser ( chuckle )

Most people on this forum arnt into cruisers
    But there is still a good growing number

Anyway yeah its all about budget

4. Vstar 1100 middo n me have )

They cruise nice and reliability is is known to
    Be great .

• Like Like x 1
  5. You will probably need over 1000cc if you are pillioning regularly, mostly because of space than power.

6. Bigger is always better

Women are always right

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wow thanks for all the quick replies!

Ideally looking to spend up to $14,000. Happy to go with second hand.

Have looked at the Boulevards and didn't really like the look of them, although I have seen a lot of people recommend them so happy to be swayed. The VStars look fairly good though. Much noticable difference in the 1100 vs 1300? Also how do they sound? I know it's silly but I do really want the big VTwin sound!

8. Get a Harley,most on here who ride cruisers are Harley wannabes.
    You wont regret it.

9. Ignore blabb he rides an orange.

1100 is good sound with vance n hines
    Cruiser slipons
    Badically bigger the better.
    1100 is carby model which sound
    A but better at idle than efi .

Mainly cos efi idles fast and carbs u
    Can have ticking over just nice.

14k gives u a lot of choices but u wouldnt
    Get a big vtwin harley

Just the sporty range and well
    Thsts a whole new debate

10. 1300 has fuel injection. 1100 is carburettors. I can service my own 1100. Exhaust noise is what you bolt onto it.

11. Ignore blabb he rides an orange.

1100 is good sound with vance n hines
    Cruiser slipons
    Badically bigger the better.
    1100 is carby model which sound
    A but better at idle than efi .

Mainly cos efi idles fast and carbs u
    Can have ticking over just nice.

14k gives u a lot of choices but u wouldnt
    Get a big vtwin harley

Just the sporty range and well
    Thsts a whole new debate

12. Which harley for $14k?

13. Plenty of Harleys for 14,horizontal.

14. Get the Harley, it's what you've always wanted. $14k will get you something good, eg 66% of that cash will get you a good used XL1200, and if you keep your eyes open you can get something bigger. I'd rather service and upkeep a HD than a Jap cruiser. And the HD will hold value always over a Jap cruiser. There is definitely a "me too" element to Jap cruisers cmopared to Harleys. That said, I ride a Kwaka over a Triumph as a retro Bonnie-style bike - it is really about getting closest to the feel that you want in a bike for your money, i.e. the best bike for your aesthetic and values regardless of brand.

15. If you want the Harley get one (I did). $14k will get you a good 2nd hand recent build Sporty with most of the usual bits already done

Yes you will be pilloried on the interwebs unless you join a HD forum (then you get to slag off at 'jappa' riders) - that is unless you buy a Vrod like I did - then no-one loves you...

Or if you're not sure - try em all and buy the one that floats your boat

16. I want to suggest Suzuki C109 but that's a hell of an upgrade from your 200cc
    Second choice would be Yamaha 1100

Hold off on Harley

17. Dont touch sportsters ewwwwww hahaha

FATBOY! :p

My neighbour has a Suzuki boulevard and it sounds insane, my dad has a Honda Fury 1300 chopper and it sounds mint after his exhaust change omg :p{

18. Not knowing much about cruisers I've based this on looks..

Get a Harley Iron 883. That thing is awesome. Not as big as the others but it has better magnetism qualities.

19. You can get a good 2nd hand sportster 1200 for 14K, that'd be my choice in your price range rather than a new iron 883.

Triumph make a couple of decent mid range cruisers as well, speedmaster and america. Worth checking out.

As for the japanese cruisers no matter how much people try and deny it they've still got a 'knock off harley' image, if you can live with that then there are some decent ones available.

20. Oh we are counting sportsters as harleys, ok then nevermind.