Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cruiser Safety?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by zilli, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Hey all,

Picking up my first bike, a VT750c2 on Saturday, so ive been spending a lot of time over the last few weeks reading different subjects on here to make the decision on which bike, and also what to anticipate and school myself on road riding. There is a lot of great information here, and a lot of smart experienced people.

My question's though, in looking through the areas for new riders, and all experiences regarding dropping bikes, they seem to have been experienced by people with either sport bikes, or semi sport nakeds etc. I haven't seen many experiences from cruiser riders.

I can understand that essentially the basic principles that come out of the experiences of riders will apply to riding a cruiser also, but i am keen to get an understanding from the experiences of cruiser riders what the issues are, if they are any different?

Just some thoughts, experiences and information for a new NR member.

Cheers in advance
  2. I suspect cruisers will have fewer low speed drops because, although heavy, they've got low seat heights and CofGs, making it less likely that you'll be caught out by an unexpected kerb, step or pothole overextending your leg.

They tend to have lazy steering geometry and to be quite stable too, so are less likely to be terminally upset by hitting road debris, getting uncoordinated rider input (sneezing fit etc) than something designed to be flickable.

I also suspect that cruisers suffer fewer single vehicle, run off road type crashes 'cos if you're inclined to ride to the ragged edge (which, let's be honest, is a major cause of such crashes), you probably wouldn't have bought a cruiser in the first place.

I'd also suspect a lower incidence of SMIDSYs, on the basis that at least some drivers might think you're a bikie and be too scared to pull out on you :grin: .

Working against these positives is the high proportion of cruiser riders are of the weekend wobbler variety, who simply don't do enough kms in varied conditions to be truly at one with their bike and, therefore, fall off the moment something unexpected happens.
  3. great points there... thank you
  4. AWESOME pic twistngo! :grin:
  5. I'm only on a 250 cruiser but I agree with what PatB says. Low seat height makes it easy to avoid low speed drops. Never sat on a bike until last October but no drops yet. I've come close, but due to my bike being light weight I could hold it up.