Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cruiser for touring ?

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by oz_mick, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Hi All,

I am new to the cruiser forums and have just recently got back to riding after 22 years and have now ride a mint 86 XV 750 Virago and an unmint XT250 trail bike.

Anyway next year I want to get a large Cruiser for the purpose of touring,, but I know very little about the big cruisers.

Would appreciate suggestions of suitable bikes especially from people that ride them. Pros and Cons

I am open to suggestions any year/flavour as long as its a cruiser to create myself a short list.

Mick

2. I think the nicest tourer would probably be the Triumph Rocket III.
    I'd end up choosing a twin rather than a triple though. :)

3. Yep they are nice,, I will check them out. Must be a dealer somewhere in Brisbane..

Have you ever ridden one ?

But like you I like the twin,,, but then again if they have the right sound well u never know.

Ok this one is on my list

4. There's a video of a Rocket III modified with a straight-through glasspack muffler. It sounds like the sonic recreation of the end of the world. :)

5. Friend of mine tours extensively on his HD Fat-Boy - a year or so back he did Canberra - Mildura - Port Augusta - Alice Springs - Tennant Creek - Mt Isa and back down the inland route to Canberra. Very comfortable and no problems. (He did use a gel seat cover though).

He has a large touring windscreen and saddlebags but he does ride hard. The edges of the floorboards are razor sharp from scraping them through corners. :LOL:

A few weeks back he did Canberra to Cairns very comfortably.

At the other extreme I have a friend in Adelaide with an R1200C BMW. Again, he rides long distances two-up and has had no problems. It also corners extremely well and is quicker than the Fat-Boy (The HD couldn't keep up on a long high speed run in country NSW)

6. There is a write up in the latest Road Rider mag about the larger capacity cruisers, think they had a HD, Kawasaki and Yamaha. Left out the Suzuki C109 and the RocketIII. Might give you an idea.

7. You can tour on anything. Any of the big cruisers will do effortless miles, but exposure to the wind (unless you get a big screen) will be the limiting factor

Saddlebags are great, but you don't really need 'em if ya got a good rack (nothing beats a good rack :wink: )

CIMG3262.

8. Call me crazy, but I don't think a cruiser would be the best way to tour. Too much weight directly on your bum. I'd imagine something more along the lines of a FJR or similar would be better.

But hey, people tour on posties. It can be done...

9. I'd happily tour solo on my m50 but the tank is nowhere near big enough. Once you open it up, you are lucky to make 220km before filling it again.
    Doesn't rule out touring, just means you have to plan well. Which to my mind kind of defeats the purpose.

10. I tour quite a bit on mine and it is extremely comfortable. What you may think about something you haven't done yourself does not necessarily equate to reality ;) :p

The only problem with touring on cruisers by and large is the fact that the majority have small tanks and therefore short distances between fuel stops. As comfort goes I find mine great, I have a screen which reduces wind fatigue, I have great saddlebags with heaps of room, I have excellent weather proof touring luggage that mounts to the luggage rack/sissy bar, the bike handles two up plus loads of luggage without the slightest complaint, and I can quite happily ride all day long. I had a tourer before this and whilst it had a better range, I do enjoy doing it on the cruiser more.

11. Agree, upright seating position very comfortable, and forward controls like a lounge chair.

So who's telling all those Outlaw Bikies to get an FJR :wink:

And on the fuel range, either carry a few extra litres, or spend time over maps planning fuel stops - IMHO, all part of the fun of getting ready for a trip. Not that many places where 200km range is not enough

12. Have been on quite a few rides on cruisers - 1600klm a day rides on the M50, and even though 250km is the full range - managed to never come close to running out. But a bit of careful planning is required. It seems that at thge worst, fuel is about 100klm apart, and if it is more, it is marked when you are leaving a town as such.

Managed a few 1200 klm days on the 109, seem to be enjoying it more rather than slogging away just to reach a mileage quota!

Bigger is better when longer distances are required. With a sheepskin thrown over the seat, the Starcom system connected to the Ipod, and the nsense to actually stop long enough for a drink and a smoke at every fuel stop, it can be very enjoyable!. Of course, the M50 wanted to cruise at 140, and the 109 at 200, but there are only so many places that you can stretch the legs of the bike without seeing those flashing lights.
    Would invest in a cramp buster for the throttle, but beware when you want to slow down, they can impede you shutting off the throttle, and the brakes dont work as well when you are still accelerating!.
    Add a Ventura rack - and the world awaits!.

13. G'day QuarterWit,
    Depends on the cruiser/suspension and the quality of the seat. Although I haven’t had mine long I’m not getting the sore/numb bum I used to get on the vstar250. I’ve done a couple of 300k rides and apart from the occasional bump that anyone would feel I’m finding the ride ok(and my spines seen a few years). I’m planning to go on a bit of a tour hopefully on my next holiday.
    G'day Bluesuede,
    On an easy day I’m getting just over 300k’s from my tank and by this stage I’m ready for a break. I don’t think you should have any trouble finding a petrol station in this distance. Of coarse this all depend on how you treat the throttle.

14. Thanks Rod I am reading it now :). Was lucky last one in the shop...

15. :shock:

LMAO well I am looking for a good solid rack since I have got rid of the last one....

Yup a good Rack is really important :p

16. Same as my Virago Not to far between fuel stops, I love my Virago, its fantastic arround town and on short trips but as a tourer I think something with some Range would be better. It would take out the hassle of detailed planning.

17. Oh no, don't get me wrong - I don't see the smaller range as any real issue either - its never been a problem for me either (apart from heart palpitations in Tassie when near the Gordon Dam and it looked like the place I'd intended to stop for fuel didn't actually have any and I was a long way from any other option...thank goodness it DID turn out to have one lonely bowser). Definitely as long as you plan your trips, 250kms or thereabouts isn't any problem. But its the only thing I'd add on a wish list for cruisers - a few more litres in a tank would be nice.

18. This is my short list for my next years bike so far

Yamaha, Royalstar Convertible,V4 1294cc,356KG,20l,$23490

Yamaha,XVS Roadliner,Vtwin1854cc,329KG,17l,$24499

Triumph,Rocket III Touring,Triple 2294cc,362KG,20l,$25990

Kawasaki,VN1600 Nomad,Vtwin 1552CC,350KG,20l,$20990

Kawasaki,VN2000,Vtwin 2053cc,361KG,21l,$23990

Prices dont include ORC, the Yamaha Convertable, Rocket III and the Kawasaki Nomad come fully setup with bags and sissy bar. Not sure about the others yet.

So if you were looking at bang for buck the Kawasaki Nomad wins

19. Should put in the Suzuki C109, best value for money of the lot. And the riding position is like the C50, bloody comfy.

20. This is my short list for my next years bike so far

Yamaha, Royalstar Convertible,V4 1294cc,356KG,20l,$23490

Yamaha,XVS Roadliner,Vtwin1854cc,329KG,17l,$24499

Triumph,Rocket III Touring,Triple 2294cc,362KG,20l,$25990

Kawasaki,VN1600 Nomad,Vtwin 1552CC,350KG,20l,$20990

Kawasaki,VN2000,Vtwin 2053cc,361KG,21l,$23990

Suzuki, C109,Vtwin 1783cc.,357KG,19l,$17990

Prices dont include ORC, the Yamaha Convertable, Rocket III and the Kawasaki Nomad come fully setup with bags and sissy bar. Not sure about the others yet.

So if you were looking at bang for buck the Kawasaki Nomad wins

Suzuki C109 added I got an American Cruiser mag last night and I think they have a test in it but just have not read it yet so forgot to include it.