Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cruiser Choices

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by Wickerman, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Dear All,
    New to this forum. I'm interested in opinions about a new cruiser(ish) motorcycle. But I'm not into the excessive metal style, like the custom bikes. I prefer less metal more bike. I have so far narrowed it down to four models
    Honda CTX700N
    Honda VT750S
    Hyosung GV650S (Sport)
    Kawasaki Vulcan S

I have a full NSW Motorcycle license. Any other suggestions are welcome, but no too pricey please.

Wickerman

2. Triumph America/Speedmaster. Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Harley 883/1200. If you don't mind going a bit older the MotoGuzzi Nevada weren't to objectionable.

3. Oh and pop over to the welcomes thread and introduce yourself.

4. I would look at honda, yamaha and Kawasaki if you want to keep the price down.

5. Going through a similar thing atm. Looked at the ctx700's they are an interesting bike, I'd like to know if any other bikes similar.
    A note on the ctx, not much aftermarket support.
    Maybe the HD street could be worth a look.
    Kawasaki S looks good IMO could be the most supported bike down the track but time will tell.
    Anyone else know of similar bikes (cruiser seating but not necessarily a cruiser)?
    Cheers, Mikey

6. Not a first-hand experience, but I've heard that Hyosungs are not very good when it comes to build quality. But then again, they are usually cheaper.

7. Again I looked into these and although things have definitely improved quality wise I think they're a bit of a gamble. Major thing that's turned me off them is 1 of the 2 local dealers is no longer selling any and the other will only order them in with deposit...

8. Have you considered the Yamaha V-Star Series....

I've 650 and it's pretty cruisey...

The 950 looks like this.

2015-Yamaha-V-Star-950-Tourer2-small.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. The Yamaha Bolt looks good as well. Not too shiny...

YAMAHABoltR-4399_3.

10. The hyosung is not bad, I liked mine. Prob cheaper and pretty sure it's the most powerful bike u have listed

11. I love the look but out of our price range :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. other choices to consider also
    Suzuki VL 800 Volusia
    Suzuki M50 800 Boulevard
    Kawasaki VN 800 Vulcan / Vulcan 900 / 900 Special Edition
    Yamaha v-star 650 / 950

13. Honda dn-01 :p

14. Depending on what you are looking for, you cant go wrong with a Suzuki Boulevard C50T, windscreen, saddle bags and plenty of chrome, or if you're after minimalist, you may be able to find a M50 which has just been dropped from the Aust. line up

15. I like the look of the daelim daystar but not sure of quality. .. only a 250cc also

16. A 250cc cruiser would bore an experienced rider to tears within weeks, no - hours!

You'd want a 650 as a minimum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I would agree with the Hyosung. I recently purchased a GV700C, called the ST7, for $5k. 2011 model, 3500 km and has screen, footboards, panniers and sissy bar/rack. The finish is not upto the same standard as Japanese bikes but, after several hours of cleaning and polishing it now looks bloody FANTASTIC if you like chrome. This bike is seriously fast (not LAMS approved). I just don't think it is necessary any more to have a supersized bike unless you specifically want a huge one.. I have always been a Yammie 650 fan but now I'm too old to be a brand snob and this bike was too good to pass up after not having ridden for 15 years.

18. Thanks to all for the input. I am still "window shopping", but thank you nevertheless.

19. Update: got a 2014 CTX700N, ex-demo. I'm liking it so far.

20. Congrats.

I'm toying with the idea of a mid sized cruiser for my next bike. Would love to come across an '07/'08 Harley XL1200R for a good price.