Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by incitatus, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Has anybody ever fitted electronic cruise control? not the throttle friction type, but full automatic cruise control.

I am slightly attracted to the idea and am looking for any input from folks with actual experience of these. I currently use a 'Vista Cruise' throttle friction type which is helpful on an essentially level, low traffic road, but he idea of a 'set and forget' system with a 'resume' button does have considerable appeal on 'Iron Butt' (Iron Brain?), type rides.

2. yes.

mine is listed on the ozblackbird site and mcnews under this user name

<--

what do you want to know?

what's the bike - the bmw?

3. The bike is a BMW R1150R. Did you fit it yourself, or have it installed? Who makes it? Cost? How have you found it performs, any issues limitations?

4. Hi, I purchased an Australian designed and manufactured electronic cruise control for my FJR1300 from :
    http://www.mccruise.com/
    Excellent and robust unit. Very detailed and easy to follow instructions, excellent phone support. Took me less than a day to install. In the year the I have been using it I have never had a problem. The designers were actually on ABC's New Inventors a couple of months ago.
    The web site is worth a look.
    Let me know if you want any further details. :)

5. Thanks...I had a look at the site and it looks ideal for what I want. Unfortunately they list the kit for my bike as "under development". I will contact them and see what this means time-wise.

How big is the vacuum unit, and how does it actually connect to the throttle linkage?

6. I had a K1200RS with electronic cruise control as a loaner bike for a few days. I used it for some freeway riding and it was good. Worked exactly the same as the cruise control in the car and I found no problems with it.

TonyE

7. Hi Incitatus, the main body of the vacuum actuator is about 12cm long with a diameter of about 8cm (I speak from memory only - it is neatly hidden behind a side cover and I have had no reason to remove the cover since fitting the unit.) The cable from the vacuum unit is fitted to a purpose-designed Cable Interface Unit (CIU) which also houses the reconnected/re-routed (original) throttle cable. A replacement throttle cable supplied with the unit is then connected between the CIU and the throttle body/carburettor. The CIU might seem like overkill, but it is a very neat unit and smoothly controls the new throttle cable.
    By all means give the guys a call. The company is run by two brothers and they have a lot of hands-on experience with their unit. In fact, when I went to pick-up my unit, they were working on a BMW bike (for which they hadn’t designed a kit for yet) whose owner rode it to their workshop, flew home and said that he would give them a call in a few days to see how they were going! That says something about their reputation.
    I still have an electronic version of my fitting instructions if you want to get a general idea of what the components look like and how they fit together. Let me know if you want a copy.
    Hope this helps.

8. ... just to qualify my term "flew home" from my previous post. The guy rode the bike form interstate (QLD I think it was). He dropped the bike at the work shop then flew home hoping to pick up the bike in a week or two then ride it back to QLD using the cruise control. Like most riders (and me) he suffered for wrist pain.

9. Thanks for the info, I will be getting me one of these as soon as they figure out the kit. I bought a similar kit for my ute a while back and fitting that was no problem so I suspect this is within my capabilities. Thanks again for the info.

10. No problem - happy to assist.

11. How much is a friction type throttle setting cruise control worth??

12. friction vistacruise ~$40, NEP ~$25

friction throttlemeister ~$200

do it yourself aftermarket vacuum car unit - ~$300

do it yourself Cruise.com unit ~$750

installed cruise.com unit ~$1000 ?

13. I bought a Command AP150 kit for my ute from Supercheap Auto for $179

The only difference I can see from the dedicated bike system is the size of the Vacuum unit, its larger in the AP150. I reckon if you had a reasonably large bike with room to mount the AP150 Vacuum unit, you could adapt it for bike use. Personally I am happy to pay for a kit specifically designed for my bike beacause I like to keep things simple, but I fitted the AP150 to my ute in an afternoon, and it works as well as any OEM unit.

14. Sorry to hijack the question - Does anyone know where I can get a Vista / NEP in Melbourne?

15. [/quote]

I bought a Command AP150 kit for my ute from Supercheap Auto for $179

The only difference I can see from the dedicated bike system is the size of the Vacuum unit, its larger in the AP150. I reckon if you had a reasonably large bike with room to mount the AP150 Vacuum unit, you could adapt it for bike use. Personally I am happy to pay for a kit specifically designed for my bike beacause I like to keep things simple, but I fitted the AP150 to my ute in an afternoon, and it works as well as any OEM unit.[/quote]

I have heard of people making their own vacuum tanks, just out of PVC and they have found them to be satisfactory. Personally I agree that something made to fit is better than I making something else to fit. Unfortunately I dont have time to always play.

Cheers

16. This thread makes me think of that funny story about the Millionaire Scandinavian who went over to the USA for a well deserved holiday break, thought he would cruise around America, so he bought a Winnebago Motor Home.
    The thing apparently had everything that opened and shuts, the salesperson also pointed out it had the latest cruise control with distance sensing radar and could back off the speed and resume if it came up behind another vehicle.

So he gets it out the road , places it in cruise control mode then gets up out of the seat and goes to the fully equipped kitchen to make a coffee :shock:

You can guess what happened shortly afterwards, that's right he split his coffee :p