Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by wobbygong, Oct 15, 2007.

1. After being blown all over the road by gale-force side winds yesterday, I'm seeking comments on appropriate riding styles and bike mods. I ride a Nevada with a rectangular topbox (only 400mm high and 250 wide from side view), which otherwise handles sweetly, but weaved over half a lane for kms yesterday. Interestingly, son on a faired GS500 tracked almost straight, with few problems.

I found that putting weight onto the pegs helped a bit, but apart from loud swearing (which helped me) not much else worked. Leaned into the wind, tried loose arms, stiff arms etc. Ended up travelling at not more than 60kph.

Is it just this style of bike, would the box make much difference, are heavier bikes better????
  2. Grip tank strongly with knees, relax everything else - stops your body acting as a sail and making it worse. Yes there will still be some blowing about but just let it do its thing below you, relaxing will make it 10x better.
  3. Whats a Nevada?
    Is that a Coffee scooter?
    I'm too lazy to go search for myself
  4. What's the world coming to? A Nevada is the small Guzzi - a 750 version of the California if you like. If Ducatis are the lattes of the bike world, Guzzis are the flat white. Of course, you wouldn't be taking the end product of digested coffee, would you Tweet?

Thanks Phizog - I did grip with the knees like death, but had some difficulty relaxing when being blown into oncoming traffic. Why can't I use this as an excuse to buy a Norge?
  5. Just tip your head into the wind, and try not to concentrate on it. I reckon you're freaking out because your fighting against it too much.

Try and ignore it and concentrate on riding - if you can do that it won't effect you much.
  6. You??

Lazy??? :shock: :shock:

They don't call you the 6th gear special for nothin :p
  7. I have been through that yesterday when travelling via Westgate free way, on my first day ride...... that it self put me off
  8. As Phizog said...it's the only way. Stay loose.
    You will still get blown about...just get used to the bike moving around underneath you, as it does'nt matter - you are still safe enough.
  9. Today was the first time I didn't have to worry about the wind!!! Little Geepy gets blown everywhere, so I lean into the front a bit, tuck my elbows in, pull the knee's tight into the tank and counter-steer to keep me on a straight path.
  10. Because there are better brands of bike around. :grin:

What works best for me, is leaning the bike into the wind, and keeping the body upright, is better and easier to control, than leaning my body into the wind.
  11. I agree with gripping with the knees and relaxing the body...the first time I got caught in major winds it freaked me out! Someone suggested I just relax and use my knees and this has never been a problem since!

Definitely scary when it first happens though, especially when it's blowing you into traffic!

Does a faired bike help a lot more with crosswinds than a naked?
  12. Ive tried the gripping the knees thing, but dosnt do all that much for me, on the highway on the way home the other day i had a very steady crosswind pushin me across to i just leant over an dropped a shoulder into the wind a bit.

On the freeway in rain an big swirly wind i found just looking far ahead and taking a "f*ck you wind" attitude an just not worrying about it was the best way to go.

Try not to think about, it wont affect you nearly as much as worrying about it.

Also pay attention when waiting at the lights, i nearly had the bike get blown over while waiting at the lights...
  13. I asked this question at the intermediate HART rider course and the instructors advised as above. Grip with the knees, relax and loosen your grip on the handlebars.

Apparently the rider contributes to the movement. If you grip hard and tense up, the wind pushes you areound, your shoulders move, your stiff arm and firm grip pushes the handlebars around and you are all over the shop.

I ride a BMW K1100LT with big fairing and top box. On Tuesday night crossed the Westgate Bridge a couple of times with big cross wind. The cars in front of me were all over the lane and I used this technique and the wind had minimal impact.

Gotta say, it is challenging to loosen the grip though!

14. It sucks that cross wind, but you learn to live with it. I think some bikes are affected more than others. My ZX7 would of appeared to not be too worried with cross wind (maybe because it weighted a ton) where my Aprilia is like a kite in the wind.
    Best of luck
  15. Thank you all - I have taken all the advice "on board" as they say, and will put it into practice.

I also used it as an excuse to buy the Norge (why wouldn't you?).
  16. My approach too! Just leave it take care of itself...
  17. You should try getting onto a 125cc bike and riding past those B-Double trucks on the highway (going the opposite way of course). That knocks the wind out of your sails, or in this case i guess that saying could be contradicted
  18. I ride a Blackbird. I find that it's not that stable in high winds, particularly crosswinds. Had a "ball" coming home from the GP on the Monday. Riding across the Strezleckis between Korumburra and Warragul, the bike was being somewhat unpleasant through the twisties where there was little protection from the winds howling from the west.

Also, when I come up behind a truck the bike shifts around a fair bit. It's as if it has a flat front tyre (and yes, I did check this first).

By comparison, my previous bike, a CBR1000F was much more stable.