Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Critters & You

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Peppy, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Hi,

Just wanting to get a feel for how you guys might ride on a country road with critter potential (kangaroos, wombats or anything else of the size of your front wheel)

Just for arguments sake, consider a 100kph limited stretch of road and well clear of Melbourne / Major city and outer suburbs (150km +), single lane traffic each way and just enough space for a car to be pulled over on the side of the road before the treeline. occasional bends, but nothing below an advisory of 85kph. its close to dawn / dusk and you've seen at least one (live) kangaroo roadside.

What speed would you choose?
    (I would appreciate it if people who have experience riding in the above example mention it, as to try eliminate some speculation)

Extra questions:
    + What are the most dangerous times to be on a road with kangaroos advisory speeds (hours relative to sunrise / sunset)
    + Are there any specific behaviours of kangaroos that are most dangerous (grazing on side of road / in transit, etc)
  2. If there are trees near the road rather than open fields, then I will generally slow down to about 90. We have 110 limit in WA and I don't really want to catch a roo on the bike going at that speed. I will also ride in the centre of the road unless there is oncoming traffic, or cars close behind. I feel it gives me a hint hore time to see something coming.

Local knowledge also helps. The "coast road" from Perth to Geraldton is notorious for roos and I won't ride on it around dusk unless absolutely necessary.

Peak danger period is from sunset until about an hour after dark. Things settle down again after then. Be careful of roos coming to the edge of the road for a drink if it has rained that day, and for green grass if it is very dry.

Emu's scare the crap out of my because they try to outrun you down the road.
  3. What middo said, although I try to avoid riding through bushland areas at dawn or dusk.

What you also need to be aware of is oncoming traffic crossing to your side of the road to avoid road kill.

Yep, I hate Emu's too. Bastard things.
  4. i'd try and maintain speeds in excess of 300kph, so as anything i hit would be obliterated like a puff of red mist.

but no, i would'nt ride that road between dusk and dawn period. only during the heat of the day.
    if you see one on the side of the road up ahead it's only there to commit suicide. just what they do. they wait patiently until you are right apon them, then BOING.
    i'm not joking.
    go further north again and fcuking everything else does the same thing. fcuking cows, camels, horses, donkeys, emus, pigs, panthers, yowies.
    if it's not allready a big fat swollen balloon with it's legs facing up. it will fcuking have at you.
    you stay the fcuk home until it warms up,
    • Like Like x 2
  5. and should you venture even further north between dusk and dawn, sometimes whole families sleep on the road because it's warm and they've run out of petrol.
    and they were'nt using that petrol to fuel a vehicle.
  6. in this situation, DO NOT under any circumstances stop, slow down enough only to avoid doing major damage to your vehicle.....
    • Like Like x 3
  7. kangaroos are unpredictable shits. if they are around you have to ride to the distance you can see and scan the road edges as far ahead as you can and slow right down when you see them. I sometimes stop completely to see what the dozy fcukers are doing. also try not to be the first vehicle down a road in the mornings.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. #8 Deadsy, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    Not at dawn/dusk but at night (dark, 7pm-12am) on a road that is always lined with dead roos (fresh road kill daily) and I would say I felt comfortable at 70kph (+ - 10kph).

It's one of my least favourite scenarios on a bike tbh.

Edit: You have to be able to stop/slow down enough in the distance you can see.
  9. often see roos on a thursday night even saw a deer last week some one hit one awhile back dosent slow us down well not untill we have to call a towie or a wambulance anyway
  10. #10 dobbo, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    Kangaroos: Dusk and Dawn are the worst time to ride, so slow down.

If the tree line is to the edge of the road, slow down, can be unexpected.
    Open paddocks, generally not to bad as you can see them and if it's a hot day, they tend to sit in the shade instead of moving about.
    If there is one kangaroo near the road, expect the rest of the mob to be nearby.
    Blowering Dam, is a magnet for Kamakazi Kangaroos, great place to test you kangaroo evasive action techniques, especially at dusk.

Emu: 'Bushes with legs', hard to spot, and guaranteed to cross the road. If the is a dead one on the road (especially if it's just the bones) avoid them at all cost, even in the cage. Bones will rip your tyres to bits.

Galahs: Dumbest birds going, diffinately will take-off slowly, then swing back into your path. (I have hit shite loads in both the car and bike).

Snakes: Lift your feet.

Goats: If one crosses, then the rest will follow.

Koalas: Target fixation can kick in, just aim for the rear end.

Brumbies: can be found throughout the Snowies; even down around Batlow/Tumbarumba; although they are fairly flighty so usually move off fairly quickly. Don't want to hit one of these!!!

Brumbies: can be found throughout the Snowy Mtns; even down as low as Batlow / Tumbarumba. Usually take off into the forest as soon as you approach. Just keep an eye out for their turds on the roadways. You do not want to hit one of these !!!

Cattle & sheep: look for the tell tale signs of 'sh*t on the road' then slow down, as they are laying in ambush for you.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Dawn and dusk for Roo's, I see them most mornings and (now that daylight savings has finished) nights to and from work, hard to slow down under the speed limit around here or the locals will sit up your rear in thier cages.
    This week saw a Sambar Deer on my trip in one morning.
    Just have to stay as dilligent as you can.
    Oh and Wombats, b@st@rds of things just stand in the middle of the road in mating season.
  12. These are the worst thing around this way despite there being a few Wallabies. Damn Galahs just don't get the idea of take off and fly high. Geez, if you can fly then get a view and don't hang around helmet level.

I'll add horses that have broken out to this. When they get away they tend to go a bit crazy. Totally unpredictable. At least cows usually just hang and graze or wander.
    My brother hit an escaped horse in his car once, Made a total mess of the car and the horse. He was, luckily, ok.
  13. This bloke on his way to work hit a small mob of my dairy cows that had escaped through the back fence on his way to work at 5.30am, we ended up shooting 4 of them. Dam lucky he wasnt riding. I'm always super wary riding at night, I find the concentration levels of continually searching for shadows about to step out quite draining. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365764110.449691.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 2 things

you travel the speed that you feel is needed for the situation - don't think" ok there's a possibility of danger....i'll drop ten k's" you slow down or speed up as much as you deem safe + enjoyable ( i know those two don't tend to go together but still).

dont presume an animal's actions - you dont know what they're going to do when the sound of our motorbike is closer to them.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Good point... to be traveling at a speed where you can handle whateva is thrown at you.
    You can take a hit from a roo and stay on. Use your weight and momentum as best you can. A 180cm roo will bring a car down so be logical.
    Wombats are the worst for mine. You just don't see the farkers till your right on them. And they are tough.
    Bush turkeys are incredibly slippery. A mix of feathers, blood and guts is like oil on the road.
    On another note, there is a dead labrador on the side of the road on the way to work. I stopped the first morning to make sure he was dead. He was, and that got me thinking. I was going to dress him up each day as a famous dead person... but council took him on Friday and wrecked my fun
  16. your fcuked in the head....i like it.
  17. You're wicked.
  18. Pretty much what others have said regarding times and what to look out for.

But also, I know Bretto61 said you can hit a roo and stay on, but it can also f#$% you up good and proper. To much luck involved. I was in a car that hit a roo once on the front left headlight and we had gotten down to about 50km/hr when impact happenned. The hit was unbelievaby hard. Wouldn't have wanted to be on my bike in the same situation.

Slow down as much or more then you thing you need to, and stay in the centre of the road where possible. (other traffic can be a problem obviously. But ifs its only a car or two going faster than you want, pull over off the road and let em past if need be.)

One last point I find is a real problem with roo's as well is that some of the bastards blend in so damn well! you can look right past them and not realise. I was blasting down the Goulburn Hwy to Nagambie a few months ago just on dawn, slowed down to about 80 and should have been going even slower in hindsight. A big grey bugger came bounding out of no where about 20 meters in front of me. brushed my glove and my knee as I went bast and I made a noise I've never made before with my mouth/body :p Pure dumb luck that he didnt get a foot further out and clean me up.

So good luck and ride safe!
  19. Hey all,

I appreciate the advice - I got thinking about the topic after a near miss when I departed halls gap during Easter. I was rounding a gentle bend when I saw one out the corner of my eye heading towards the bike. I think he/she was already at speed crossing the road. I don't know how much I missed it by, but it didn't feel like much. Pretty scary how little time there was to react. Nearest urban example I can think of is a kid running out between two parked cars. got me thinking about how I might handle things next time.

I saw a couple roadside and was able to slow for them and stay plenty far away from trouble. It hadn't occurred to me that one might be travelling at speed perpendicular to the direction of the road, though. seems stupid that I didn't think of it. As for what speed I'd choose next time, I'm thinking under 80kph for sure - I'll just move over for anybody with a bull-bar!