Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Critical facts about riding a thou?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Maetrik, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Did a search and didn't find much. I'll keep this brief, I'm upgrading from my 650 to a 2009 Honda CBR1000 Fireblade. I've accepted the fact I'm going to be right back to square one again, getting used to the truckloads of additional power just to name one thing.

Apart from people telling me I'm going to kill myself, does anyone have first hand experience to help me make the transition a safe one. Any critical things to note other than the obvious power increase? I'm excited but also very nervous in a motivated way, I'm not too scared of the thing I just know that I'm stepping into a realm where proper riding technique isn't handy its essential.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Enjoy it. That's the important one.

It's a motorbike. The basics don't change.

Treat the throttle with a bit of respect. Don't try and find out just how much faster it is on the first ride. Baby steps.

Write us a decent owner's report.

PS - when the bottom of your face starts to hurt after a while? That's the dopey grin. You get that.
  3. The grin is already present, I think ill have a psychotic episode when I pick it up next week.

Raven was nice enough to come check it out with me as he owned an 07 Blade....he was so impressed with it that he said he'd fob off the 675 and buy the 09 Blade if he had his time over again....now that's saying something!

Cheers for the advice, I know not much can be said but Im just taking the whole power increase pretty seriously.
  4. The main thing is everything will happen a lot faster.
    It will turn and stop a lot easier and quicker. And it will put on silly speeds with no effort at all.
    Your biggest hurdle will be the braking though. Getting use to the force of it. For a while you wont get near the potential of the brakes.
    But it will take you an hour to find the acceleration potential.
    Can you see the inbalance there ????
    What's the first thing you should get to know and use the potential of ???
    We mortals always get it ass about
    • Like Like x 1
  5. :woot: Congrats Maetrik.
    Bring it down to Sat'dy prac, we'd love to see you (& it!) and you can get some low speed skills prac in.
    Between Raven, Kneedragon & Bretto's advice I don't think you can go far wrong.
  6. you are going to lose your licence. fact

not by doing anything silly, but eventually you just run out of points.
  7. #7 blocka, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    You realise how low speed limits actually are when you find it more comfortable sitting at $1.40+ in $1 zones
  8. ok, i'm going to dig a little deeper for you Maetrik, because i like you (though you are a worry)
    first week > you will have your mind blown open by how the thing just throws the world up ahead straight into your face. you can practically teleport from point to point in traffic.
    you can out manouvre everything around you with ease. dose'nt matter what they want to do, get past you or block you. bang, you can be gone before they can blink.
    and from what i've deduced of your character since you've been here. you will do this.

problem> it takes time for your mind and body to adapt to how you are moving through time and space. to process the information. your brain is being flooded and you are missing things, though unaware of that.
    you will adapt, quite quickly in fact. 2-3 weeks.
    but understand this> your brain is not recieving everything yet. you will miss things, and your brain must be way ahead of the bike.

next problem> you have now adapted and are on a diferent plane entirely to the traffic around you. they are in slow motion. but you don't feel like you are going fast, not at all.
    remember this > the traffic around you has not adapted as you have. they don't see it like you at all. you need to allow for that, to allow for them.

must also add credence to what Bretto touched on with braking. this new machine has incredibly sensitive controls. you will grow to appreciate this. but you can never be sloppy on bikes like these. every input must be delicate.

more critical also now, is how you set up the bike for diferent riding conditions. i'm in Melbourne, so very wet and cold. but my bike, tyres, suspension, power map etc is currently set up to really exploit warm and sunny. i can ride it today if i have to. but it's not ideal and possibly even dangerous to do so.
    owning a motorbike now is actually far more costly for me than owning and maintaining a small car.

another fact > assuming one can ride competently enough, being on a thou is a hell of a lot safer in traffic than being on a LAMS bike. because it can evade and avoid bad drivers twice as well.
    but there is a new type of danger from cagers you need to now be more aware of. that being their egos. you can be riding around just as you normally do, but they see someone who wants a race. or they see a challenge for their fully sick conformodoore SS turbo unimprezza whatever.
    so even though you can just be riding along relaxed and as usual, like not even trying. suddenly some retard is trying to catch up to you or do a hero pass.
    as a personal rule > don't play with cars. just back of as soon as you become aware of retard in vicinity.
    which brings me to the most important fact relevant. owning a thou requires strong self discipline. and if you don't allready have that, it will teach you, or you will die.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. A pretty good response covering some good points. Although I don't think the thou's are quite THAT nasty. Clearly, if you ride like a nob, you'll die from it, but if you ride and approach your riding seriously, as you said, it can be noticeably safer.
    "teleport"...excellent choice of words. :)

And I'll throw my hat in on the whole tempo of riding a thou. Give a thou an handful and the future rushes at your face, and it takes time to train ones brain to get up to matching a thou's pace, since warp factor 5 is almost instantaneous (relatively speaking)

So maetrik, if you want to get that "just how fast does this thing accelerate" question out of your system, we'll do it virtually straight away, but in a place of relative safety, si it does'nt temp you.
    THEN, you can get on with the real job of learning to ride the bike like a pro, without all the bs, mate.

Really! A thou is a pussycat, or a screaming banshee that will kill you. Stay in the first part for a while before you go exploring the dark side, and then build it up slowly. Aim to be good up to medium pace by the end of summer, on that bike. Then next season, you could be ready to test yourself up in the stratosphere.
    You'll be able to give the bike handfuls now and then to begin to introduce the power to your riding but you need to keep it in check by short shifting for a while, till you start to get a good feel for the bike through corners and braking, as Bretto said.
    There is no way, that one can jump straight into it. Your complete sensor range is not capable of keeping up with it, so you have to build them up just like any other tools. It takes them a while to get there properly, but once they've arrived and got some practice, it will be very rewarding for you.

There are no shortcuts, mate. (as you know) :)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. MT1 - raven - yeah, spot on.

The power, oddly, is the thing you get used to the quickest. It's the thing the brain acclimatises to the soonest. The boys are right that you need to develop the other abilities of the bike. Learn to use the brakes, to dodge around obstacles and hazards, learn to corner correctly... Your head needs to be a long way ahead of the game.

To me, the danger of a bike like this, after riding slow ones, is that in the first few days your muscle memory in the right wrist will forget what you're riding and you'll grab 3/4 throt in 1/10 sec in first gear, because the traffic ahead of you has begun to move faster or something - and you'll spin up / flip / high-side / centre punch the rear bumper in front of you.

Second one is riding along and entering a corner thinking you're doing $1.10 when you're actually doing $1.80. Keep an eye on the speedo.

Third, largest, in the slightly longer term, is bikes like this seem to move your undies to the outside of your pants. Before you know it, you'll be ten foot tall and bullet-proof, walking on water, eating bullets and shitting ice-cream with the best of them. You may not think an inner Spideman or some shit lurks in the back of your mind, but trust me - he's there. He'll get you killed. Don't listen to him.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. One word

12. Hope you have better luck then me!
    My thou arrived, grinning for a whole week beforehand. Then it wouldnt start off the truck lmao! Grin gone.

Anyway, having ridden a few thou's now, most definitely baby steps to get a feel for the bike and its handling characteristics - chances are you are going to need to play with the suspension settings to get it how you want it. I know for my fat ass ill likely need to go a higher grade of oil in the forks, but shouldnt need to replace the rear springs, just dial up that preload and firm up the ride some :p.

Oodles of torque makes for a much easier ride. Enjoy it.
    Just remember: The throttle is more scared of you then you are of it.
  13. +1 all the advice.

Something else to know is that it WON'T maneuver at slow speeds like your current bike. You will have to relearn that part too.

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
  14. True, but it's when you stop being scared of it that it bites you. LOL.
  15. You got it dude, thats exactly what i was implying :D!
    Just like those big mean evil looking wild animals that are supposedly terrified of you until you meet one for real and it eats you :).
  16. Awesome post, thankyou. You read me well! I am a risk taker, hence why i posted this thread. I need experienced blokes to tell me ill be dead if im an fwit, as immature as that might be (im nearly 24). You seem to know your shit, would you be down for a ride or are you not the 'mentoring' type? No obligations to protect me but i love your up front to the point approach.

Regardless, thanks for your words, they've really sunk in. As well as Raven and kneedragon, but instead of ranting i just thanked you two :p.

And ill definitely try and make the Saturday beginners group, i think the extra weight will make my slow manoevuring very shabby initially.
  17. Maetrik,
    Heard of your news (new bike) recently. CONGRATS champ !
    With an '04 Fireblade which I'm loving immensely, I can only imagine, based on Raven's findings also, just how impressive the '09 model is.
    Don't rub it in too much mate - might make me do silly things with the current bike 'garage' ;)
    Hopefully we can get together soon and check out the new 'secret weapon' in person.

PS - Thoroughly enjoyed reading the advice of the very learned and experienced riders above. 'Spot On', is a term I'd like to employ to describe their comments.

I upgraded from a Gix 750 onto the R1 a little over 2 years ago. The power difference was noticeable. But you'll soon discover this and your mind will scold your right wrist VERY quickly should they not work in unison. Respect the throttle.

As Raven said, take your time in getting comfortable with the new beast. Try and ride her ( :D ) as smoothly as you can. You'll not only start getting real good with time, but your confidence will grow..and before you know it, you'll be effortlessly pinning those speed limits...plus GST (y)

Finally, I'd like to quote Kneedragon's post above :
    ...but it's when you stop being scared of it that it bites you...
    VERY sound statement. Again, treat her with respect.

I treat my thou's like an exotic Asian hooker - Sure, you're paying to ride her but disrespect her...and she'll bite....HARD !

Congrats and enjoy mate.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Thanks for all the sage advice. Words to live by.
  19. Gentlemen [and you to Kitt :)] I have been on a 900 since getting back on a bike [a few months now] I wish I asked this question back then. And I ride like a pussy, I must say that all the above describes what I have gone thru and absolutley 100% on keep the power in check till you have masterd the bike. as I said I am not a good rider, all the power I have I am scared to use it and wont crank it unless I feel 'safe'. So as Kitt said, RESPECT..
  20. hey Maetrik, yeah i'm down for a ride anytime. thanks for the offer