Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Criminals take advantage of Vicpol's anti-pursuit policy

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by ajrider, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Well, it seems as though this anti-pursuit policy is allowing real criminals (not just traffic offenders) to get away with serious crimes:

Police fail to pursue criminals who were just leaving a premises after stealing a safe containing firearms - still hanging out of the back of the boot

[​IMG]

as a result...

So in return...

and now... nearly a month later when they have been unable to locate or identify the criminals the action of the police is to ask:

If firearms theft fails to meet the criteria for serious crimes that call for pursuits, I wonder what does!

Source:
    Burglary at Blackburn South house - Victoria Police News

2. Not to worry with the new police camera policy that car will be pinged by a hidden camera car and will be promptly served a traffic infringement leading to the tracking down of these dastardly villians

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Indeed - except I dare say that the car is either stolen, or has stolen plates. One thing the government fails to understand is that criminals don't play by the rules they set...

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. I think the main reason why police don't pursue is that when things go pear shaped ( and it is a high risk affair), the do-good-ers come out in force and condemn their actions. Of course these same citizens want their property and their lives protected around the clock. :sour:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nanny says "how many innocent members of the public were killed or hurt by these criminals getting away from the police?"
    'spose it's another case of "careful what you wish for" :D

Nanny may also say "if members of the public didn't keep firearms in their suburban houses, in safes that could be so easily removed, then this would not have occurred" ;)

what was that "shoot first" Police tactical group they used to have in Victoria? maybe you need armed tactical police on every corner, just in case :D.. crazy Mexicans LOL

6. I would not be shocked if a high-up admitted that they did it with the expectation that people wouldn't like the outcome, and that the policy would therefore result in public acceptance of the costs and dangers of pursuits.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. This "non pursuit" policy is also practiced by a large percentage of the cops patrolling our streets, who with their overweight body shapes and apparent lack of fitness signal to any potential crim: " you can safely operate outside a 5m radius of my person, because I would never catch you, even if I tried". 3:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. The other thread about VIC rules is complaining about Police doing their job and here it is a winge about them not doing their job. ???

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Welcome to Netrider :p.

10. Perfectly logical; it is all about what they do in our employment! We all prefer them to be out there in force catching criminals ( for example catching real killers ) instead of pursuing motorists for driving a couple of k's over the speed limit, who seem to be the "killers" they are targeting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. not that many "killers" in Victoria.. and most do get caught.. and more than 1/3rd of "killers" are vehicle related deaths :D

"There were 167 homicide offences recorded in 2013/14, a decrease of 5.1% on the 176 offences recorded in 2012/13. Of the 167 homicide offences recorded during 2013/14, 119 were cleared within the financial year.
    An additional 45 homicide offences from previous years were also cleared, making a total clearance rate of 98.2%, which was 0.7 percentage points lower than the total clearance rate in 2012/13."

vic-homicide.

vic-road-toll.

12. Clearly the police need a more effective way to end pursuits.
    This wire-guided baby has a range of ~4km and a top-speed of over 1000km/h making it the perfect tool of swift justice.
    Vicpolice are already pro's at dressing in camo, hiding behind trees while looking through scopes pointed at cars so I can't imagine any collateral.

TOW_01a.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. do we prefer this? (from this morning in NSW)

Shots fired during NSW police pursuit
    Shots have been fired during a 100km police pursuit through rural NSW which lasted almost two hours and included an armed carjacking.
    Police began the chase on the Hume Highway at Gundagai at about 2am on Sunday after reports a business had been broken into.
    Two men driving a ute were then pursued for more than 100km on a wild ride from Gundagai to Yass.
    Police say the men fired several shots at officers during the pursuit before pulling into a Yass service station at 3.40am and forcing a man from his car at gunpoint.
    It was there police caught up with the pair and arrested two 23-year-old men from the ACT.
    Police say a police firearm was discharged during the arrest.
    An independent critical incident team from Monaro Local Area Command are investigating the incident.The men have been taken to Yass Police Station. -

14. #14 fruechtel, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    I definitely prefer this action and result!!!!!!!!!!!!! These cops pursued the criminals and captured them. Is that not the essence of police work? Risky? Yes! But a damn side better than watching them drive a way with a safe full of guns, which will be used in the criminals' next venture.

A view in the future: THE AUSTRALIAN headline: Family murdered brutally in their home. Local police do not want to get involved, because it might be risky and they might step on someone's toes. Commissioner appeals to the public to apprehend the criminals and hand them over handcuffed at the nearest police station.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. That's just the sort of silly logic that the government is likely to consider. Target the law abiding who are doing nothing wrong instead of the criminals. Should drugs be removed from chemists as well, or cigarettes from convenience stores?

+ 2.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yes.

:p

17. I agree in spirit, but aren't guns supposed to be "well secured" in a safe that itself can't be easily removed from the premises?

* my comma in previous post may have been poorly placed.. I have no issues with guns in suburbia.. but ffs properly secure them... a safe that can be carried out of the home just screams laziness on the gun owners part

imagine if banks kept money in locked toolboxes that could be carried out of the bank.. what would be the point? :p

besides, drugs and smokes keep the petty crims away from robbing banks :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. We don't know how long they were at the premises getting the safe. No safe is 100% secure. They may have had tools used to separate it. All safes can be accessed - the key is the amount of time it takes to get into (or separate in this case) the safe.

Going from previous response times of police, I could insinuate (tongue in cheek) that they could have been there for a long time first before they got the safe.... ;-)

Either way - they had the crooks within their sites, and they failed to pursue. My original question remains. What constitutes a serious crime for police to consider pursuing? Originally it was indicated that the anti pursuit policy was only supposed to be for minor traffic offenses...

19. you would think guns (if the cops knew there were guns in the safe) would be worth chasing...
    but they may also consider that if someone is desperate and prepared enough to go stealing guns then they may be pretty determined to get away, regardless of the cost.

then again, stolen legal guns only account for a small proportion of black market weapons.. so what's a few more out there? :D

20. I agree oldcorollas. I would have thought that stolen guns would be worth chasing, and that's the point.

As for considering if they're desperate enough - they will be desperate to get away - this has always been, and will always be the case. However not pursing them will simply encourage more and more criminals to be blazen knowing that to get away all they have to do is drive off. It increases the black market's demand for stolen plates and vehicles, and in the end effectively increases the crime rate. And it increases the number of crimes not being solved / number of criminals at large.

Strewth - I've even heard of talk about people considering putting on fake plates on their bikes when going for 'fun' rides just so they don't get caught out since this new policy came in, and if the police try to intercept just to ride off. I certainly don't condone such talk or action, but I can see how the current policy certainly encourages it for certain minded people. And if riders are talking about it - it's no wonder that serious criminals are happy to take advantage of it.

• Agree Agree x 1