Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Crime And Punishment

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by creampuff, Nov 23, 2012.

1.  Top
  2. Pretty light sentence, wonder what the mitigating factors were.

3. Hehehe, doing it in England. 100mph would likely only get you about £200 and 7-14 day ban or 3-6 points and no ban. Plus a court appearance, it's up to the magistrate.

4. In Victoria there'd be the mandatory 12month suspension for the speed, plus an $800 fine and 8 points.

That speed would also collect a driving dangerous charge - requiring a court appearance, probably ending with additional fines plus additional suspension period imposed - I've seen reports where two additional years suspension have been applied. Plus lawyer costs.

Bike would be confiscated under hoon laws for 30days, and there'd be the hoon fine and impoundment costs - amounts to about $1500 I believe, plus some points, plus a court date, so more costs there, leading most likely to extra fines and suspension.

If your points added up to over 12, there's additional suspension time.

So all up, that little bit of extravagance could cost you at least $10k and possibly four+ years off the road. If you had serious priors, a suspended sentence wouldn't be off the cards.

5. So what bike was the copper on? Sounds like the plodder was having a bit of fun too :D

6. Yep, we live in the lucky country :whistle:

I don't think we were watching the same video...

7. Yep, Australian authorities could learn a thing or two from their British counterparts.

Oh, wait, I've just worked it out. Our authorities are still treating us as convicts. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Actually I'm surprised at the light penalty. A few years ago a pair of riders were jailed in the UK for similar speeds so it ain't all rainbows and fairy floss.

OTOH, within living memory I got what the copper referred to as "a good verbal bollocking" for well into imperial triple digits and I doubt if that approach has entirely died out as the guy was young enough that he and others like him might still be in the job.