Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[cricket] Laws of bowling

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by port80, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Just watching Sri Lanka V Australia 29th Feb. Malinga bowled Hopes with a good delivery, well good once it left his hand. I question the legality of his bowling action. Does anybody know how he gets away with his action?

I know the laws have already been changed for chucka (Murali), does thower benefit from the same law?

2. Was wondering the same thing... His arm is so low/wide, that Gillie asked the ump to remove his white hat, since Malinga was letting the ball go in line with it and Gillie couldn't see it properly!! amazing what these continent countries can get away with.
  3. Law 24.3 Definition of fair delivery - the arm
    A ball is fairly delivered in respect of the arm if, once the bowler's arm has reached the level of the shoulder in the delivery swing, the elbow joint is not straightened partially or completely from that point until the ball has left the hand. This definition shall not debar a bowler from flexing or rotating the wrist in the delivery swing.

How he gets accuracy with that action I dont know.
  4. Nothing illegal about Malinga's action at all. Murali's action was (and still is) a bit dodgy but the laws have been changed to allow it.
  5. I guess if underarm is a legal ball (is it still?) then Malinga's action is totally legal ..

but yeah, how he gets accuracy who knows, but its working for him..
  6. Underarm is not a legal delivery
  7. coz ive been naughty and havent watched the cricket recently (punish me, pleeease :cry:), im assuming your saying this guy almost has a sidearm action? not the gun stuff, but he swings out kinda around his body, rather than over?
  8. coz ive been naughty and havent watched the cricket recently (punish me, pleeease :cry:), im assuming your saying this guy almost has a sidearm action? not the gun stuff, but he swings out kinda around his body, rather than over?
  9. My question is how does Malinga get the aiming right? Since the ball is so far away from the body and he is swinging so fast. The ball would have some circular trajectory as he releases the ball. Really interesting if you think about it.
  10. A ball won't have a circular trajectory.

Putting things like the wind aside, the ball will travel straight on in the direction it was going at the point of release (affected by gravity of course)

And how he gets accuracy? Practice.
  11. thommo used to have a very similar action back in the day. mind you it wasn't as pronounced as Malinga. My brother bowls the same way. we all used to laugh at him of course when we were younger. but because the ball skips along when it hits the pitch, its very hard for a batsmen to predict what its going to do. so he used to pick up a few handy wickets. go for it i reckon.
  12. i think once you mastered it, accuracy would be easier. he is piffing the ball from inline with the stumps. the ump sees it from the time it leaves his hand so i would imagine it would make LBW easier. as long as his arm goes over the line of his shoulder, which is does, its not a no ball/dead ball.
  13. I think you're forgetting about swing bowling...

I think his bowling action meets with the 'new' rules, but not the old ones.
  14. His action, as has been mention is in the same vein as tommo and many many other international swing bowlers, the slinging action is perfectly legal and has been used forever, just watch some of the black and white games and many of the english bowlers use a simular action. When i bowl pace this is the action i use and find i can swing the ball far more and with more pace with this slinging action. The only problem i have with his action is with the bend in the elbow (like a peg), but with the new 15deg allowable bend he and brett lee who uses a very simular peg like action for his faster balls, can get away thanks to murilchucha.
  15. I didn't forget about swing bowling. But swing bowling is not achieved by bringing your arm around in a circular motion and it has nothing to do with what I said.

Can you explain what "old" rules would have made his bowling action illegal?
  16. Read _M_'s post, covered nicely there.
  17. I don't think he would have ever been called for it. When the new rules were implemented is was proven that many fast bowlers were already bending their arm more than the allowed amount.
  18. Yeah but he stands out more mainly due to his unorthodox action. It's not the angle away from his body that's the concern, it's the bend in his arm before and after release. To me its like a borderline baseball throw, like how they sling it sideways snapping the elbow.
  19. If the rules only apply to the straightness of the arm, then I spose it's legal, BUT

In a classic over-arm bowl, the speed of the delivery is limited to the power exerted by the shoulder and the run-up speed.

If the arm is kept straight but bowled around from lower down, then the bowler can add power/momentum to the ball by twisting his waist, as well as moving his shoulder and benefitting from a run-up.

It looks silly, but I spose it works for him, and if you can master accuracy it's probably a better way to bowl faster.