Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CRF250L issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Soup, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Hi all, Soup's girlfriend here. I have a 2015 CRF250L (stock except changed sprockets by the first owner).

Was practicing in a local car park and upon trying to do a turn way too sharp because of my newbie nerves, I dropped the bike. It was okay, just the gear lever got bent and a few insignificant scratches, but no probs, what are dual sports for!

Annnnd then it happened again, but the issue was I tried to start the bike and everything appeared in order except the actual start button - when I would hold it down it would not fire. We tried a few times then left it for a bit, Soup thinking maybe it was screwed from the last drop or the spark plugs. He jumped on and tried getting the fuel to circulate (not sure if I'm explaining it well enough) and it turned on after he did that. We read up about all different locks - neutral, kickstand, issues with fuel, etc., so we are not entirely sure what the problem is.

Left it for a while, after losing my nerve quite a bit... Rode it once more, and parked it. Went to start it up shortly after and same issue.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be or if it's a common problem and something just locked?

Soup could get it to start after a bit of a fiddle and just rode it back and called it a day.

Thanks in advance.

2. Clutch safety switch damaged or moved out of position?
    Starter switch damaged?
    Neutral safety switch damaged or moved out of position?
    Sidestand safety switch damaged or moved out of position?

You'd need to check and rule these out one by one to narrow it down.
    Could also be something else entirely, loose battery mounting and terminal?

• Agree Agree x 1

3. Thanks for your reply.

Will have to check these - bike was dropped to the left both times and the clutch slid across the handlebar inwards (had to adjust this at home) but also side stand might have some issues.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

4. I would agree that a microswitch or connector isn't making correct contact, this will prevent the bikes starter turning and ignition firing.

Engine damage seems unlikely.

5. Hmm, will have to check it out in the day. Thanks for your response!