Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crazy Melbournites

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by bragi0, May 9, 2006.

1. I don't know how you guys ride down there :) I was down over the weekend [darn friend forgot her dress for the Logies, I had to fly it down for her]... it was FREEEEEEEEZING. The cagers down there are insane... decide to do U-turns whenever they feel like it. And trams! Argh!

I'd be dead about 12x over by now!
  2. I think every city in the world has its own degree of traffic berserkity.

I'd put Melbourne's berserk factor at about 35. I learned to ride in Hanoi, where the berserk factor is about 31 million.

If you rode these streets for a week you'd be as comfy as a local. ;)
  3. You get used to it, it isn't all that bad.

When I last went to Sydney I had the same thoughts you have now about there. I guess it just depends on where you live, what you are used too.
  4. True :D

I wouldn't have been at all prepared for the hail on sunday arvo! That reminds me... I really have to find the winter lining for my jacket. It's getting cold out there.
  5. Lived in Sydney for 35 years, down here for the last 4 years.

Sydney drivers are angry people who don't understand the concept of a speed limit, at all, anywhere.

Melbourne drivers are vague people who don't understand the concept of lane dividers, red lights or indicators, at all, anywhere.
  6. It's not that bad as long as you are always ready to be cut off, turned in front of or for anything else that's crazy & unpredictable... :shock: :twisted:
  7. yeah melbourne is not that bad just watch out for taxi drivers
    :grin: :grin:
  8. It's a war zone.
    I'm on patrol.
    Safety off.
  9. didnt you get a machine gun monkey when you crossed over the border?
  10. need somthing bigger then that.... you need the BFG from doom
    to handle the crazy cagers here in melb :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  11. Crap!!! No wonder I was freezing my b@lls off on Monday. I've got to find my winter lining as well :!:
  12. I want that little gun from Men in Black (1 not 2) that should be enough for the crazy cagers... altho hanging onto the bike could prove difficult :LOL:
  13. The noisy cricket??

That thing rawked :)
  14. I kinda fiound it easier in sydney , for that reason , if someone pulled out in front of me in sydney you knew they would plant it to become the world speed record holder, Melbourne and Adelaide, they could do it just to slam on the brakes, or speed of , or just cruise at 20 kmh.
  15. Say what you will about Melbourne, but dont group us with adelaide !!!

The crap that goes on with drivers (if they can be called that, perhaps "people in cars") over there make QLD drivers look sane !!!!
  16. The drivers might be different, but at least the roads are wider down south, I really envy you that.
    Sydney drivers DO treat driving like 4-wheeled combat, there's no doubt on that :LOL:
  17. Yeah I was gonna mention that but I didn't want it to turn into a "101 reasons why Melbourne is better than Sydney" thread... ;)

It's definately a great city to lanesplit in, and our wide footpaths and legal footpath parking make the whole city a parking spot. You're always door to door and more often than not there's somewhere undercover to plonk your bike.
  18. :LOL: i was just about to start one
  19. Yeah that's the one... I think I'll take 2 of them just in case :LOL:
  20. Yah, you guys have it sweet with all that. Damnit. Dratted NSW police state mentality. Still, I think we can all agree that it's better than riding in QLD, where you get that unique combination of city and country drivers just to add spice to the unpredictable nature of the roads.