Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crashing Tips: How not to

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by smileedude, Jan 15, 2014.

1. I've spent a lot of time thinking about how not to crash. And I've been reasonably successful at it. But I haven't read anything or given much thought about what to do if shit does ever go badly. Given this is netrider and we are supposedly very experienced at crashing are there any general tips for what to do when it all goes pear shaped?

If a collision is unavoidable do you brake til impact or can you get a safer trajectory by releasibg the brake in the last split second and changing the weight of your bike?

Stand Up, sit down or jump off the pegs?

Any tips on how to fly through the air and land to give the least injury?

When road sliding is there any tricks to slowing down quicker before you collide with the gutter?

Anyway you get the gist. Last straw "road craft techniques" that could mean the difference between a few scratches and an amputated leg.

2. Well I had a big one last year, no broken bones or limbs required amputations... so whatever I did must have worked well... except for the part where I hit my head, as a result I have no memory of what happened or what I did!

Personally I think your natural reflexes at the time will normally be pretty close to right, you might put a hand down to try and slow yourself down or similar... but unless you are a motogp rider crashing on a track, on a bike you don't care about (with a team back in the garage ready to piece it back together for you), you're unlikely to have time to make much a choice about how you crash when the time comes!

3. It'll be random violence when shit hits the fan.
    I think it won't matter what we we will learn here because it won't matter.

The only exception is probably when one crashes so often that "saver" crash becomes an instinct.
    But I suppose this is only available to racers (or maybe dirt bike riders to some extent), not to an average Joe.

4. I went down on a roundabout a few years ago. I think humans have a natural instinct to put your arm out when falling. Doing this will not help and only end up braking your arm. I had a good jacket with elbow armour so as I went down I gripped the grip hard and forced myself not to try and stop the fall with my hand. Ended up fine with no injuries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Back in the early days of StayUpright, they used to tell folk that, if a collision is unavoidable, after you have braked as much as possible, then get off the brake and onto the throttle.

Now, this was specified for collisions with wild life, and the logic was that the motorbike is most stable under power, and it might just stay upright and go over the animal.

It probably won't help if it's a bus, truck or 4WD that you are about to hit.

To be honest, I suspect that if you have enough time to logically plan the impact, surely you'd have enough time to avoid it instead...... or am I being too sensible?

6. You can train yourself to fall without putting your hand out, eg for Judo. I'm not sure how well that training would stick when on a bike.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Proffesional cyclists tend to always brake collar bones when they crash hard enough while every kid at school that crashed their bicycle, including myself, always broke their forearm on comparatively tiny crashes. And pro cyclists don't wear any shoulder protection. So I suspect this is a very important tip.

8. Back in the day when I first started skydiving, we had round parachutes (remember those Basejumper?) landing involved some forward velocity and the technique was a roll "to distribute the shock across the body" - but that occurs under controlled circumstances and you are expecting it. The bike analogy I guess would be to tuck limbs and things in if you are off and rolling not letting the extremities flail about. Tense up to limit hyper-extensions?

9. I suspect there is very little braking involved with most animal collisions and I also suspect those that get to the brakes will more than likely end up on the ground while those hitting at full speed can stay up.

Though I suppose if its a pedestrian and you were seen to accelerate at the last split second there might be legal ramifications.

10. Round parachutes ?? Only been jumping 6 years so never jumped one of those death traps, thank god

11. You're more likely to be gipping the handlebars as tight as you can if you're about to have an "off".

12. Only practical thing I can think of is don't hang onto the bike. If you are crashing or know you will, let go.

13. Heres a tip: If you're riding with friends you will be given a score for your dismount. Higher scores require more difficult manoeuvres, e.g. backflips, landing on your feet or moving in such a way that the gopro footage can be set to music.

There is also a bonus modifier for trivial but comic injuries such as bruises that are shaped like things or exhaust burns in unusual places.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. I reckon you either need extensive training so a fall becomes natural or forget it and deal with it at the time and stay loose.
    Difficult to train for every way you might possibly come off without being totally dedicated to it and taking an enormous amount of time.
    "Natural" is possibly the way to go. Stiffen up and you might end up doing more damage. Wait until/if it happens.

15. When I was learning how to snow ski, the instructor showed us how to fall to the side and roll, arms and hands tucked in. Maybe this might work better. With armour in my jacket at the back, shoulders and elbows, I think letting the armour take the impact and slide is better than trying to land with arms and legs out. I'd rather be replacing my riding gear than my own skin. I've seen a few race crashes where the rider tried to stand up only to find they were still traveling too fast, and then they got indured. As for hitting a car, bus, truck or guard rail, I don't know what might help.

16. From experience you don't have time to think and its all down to what you've trained yourself to do. The ones that get you are what you haven't thought about before. Normal reaction time is about a sec (or a bit less maybe) then a second or 2 to think and you're gone. The ones I've got out of have usually been by doing something decisively even though it may not have been optimal and it was something I was mentally prepared for.

17. The one slide that I had was at 40km/h in the wet when I was learning. Lucky there was no gutters, traffic, guard rails etc. But how quickly everything happened I went over the handlebars and the bike tucked in underneath. I ended up on my back and slid across the road. As that happened I essentialy kept my feet up and my arms up to keep them clear and went for the ride. Stood up straight away without a mark and bugger all bruising. Had a tender spot on my shoulder that I didn't notice till the day after and would only be agravated if I was poking at it.

To be honest I can't say if my lack of injuries was pure luck or did I do the right thing? I know enough that you don't want anything hanging off to get caught and cause you to tumble or lose a limb.

18. The only thing that comes to mind is to try and keep your arms in tight and feet off the ground. Oh and don't try to stand up until you have actually stopped sliding.

19. Fetal position.
    Loose arms and legs and roll (not tense and gripping).
    The more you stick out the more that might get caught and doing more damage.

20. It's funny you mentioned that. I've had a few stacks on pushies (including going over a car) and one on a motorbike and I honestly believe the reason I haven't been seriously injured is because of learning how to break fall in judo. Muscle memory kicks in and I happen to land with minimal injury.

Or maybe I'm just really lucky.