Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crashed VTR handlebars not straight

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by cameronp, Dec 18, 2012.

1. So my poor little VTR250 doesn't look quite the same any more after an unfortunate incident on Saturday afternoon. From what I can tell, most of the damage appears to be cosmetic, with one big exception: the handlebars are crooked.

The front wheel is not aligned with the mud guard any more. When the handlebars are straight, the wheel points slightly to the right. The big bolt at the top of the forks (the one that connects the handlebars, triple clamp and frame) might be off as well - I'm pretty sure the previously the head of the bolt was in line with the handlebars but it certainly isn't now.

I have no idea whether this is going to be an easy fix-at-home job or an "oh shit, take it to a mechanic and get all the things replaced" kind of job, but hopefully someone here might be able to point me in the right direction...
  2. I hope the forks aren't bent!
  3. Me too! But I'm not sure how to tell... the wheel being misaligned with the mudguard makes me think that it might just be wheel alignment, but I'm not even sure how to fix that. e.g. Will I need a front stand to start fiddling with this kind of thing? (Bike has no centre stand and I only have a rear paddock stand.)
  4. Often it is just that the forks have shifted in the triple clamp. Loosening up the triple clamp bolts and you may be able to ease it back in to line.
  5. loosen the forks in the clamp, tighten them up.
    should fix it if its just twisted...
    i have seen a few bent head-bolts, though more likely to be handlebars.
    handlebars are easy to replace. i recommend using dirt bike bars for a cheap option. also some better bends for the vtr
  6. As guys said. Loosen the bolts.

I did it twice. Second time needed to fixate the wheel on to the wall and push the handlebars a bit to align.

While doing it I measured the distance from a stable point on the left and right to a mark in the middle of the wheel.
  7. just take the bike to a bike shop pay them some cash to fix it ,if you have to ask about it on here i can tell you dont know what your looking for so dont waste your time trying to fix it your self on the cheap ,
  8. If you loosen the bolts, don't loosen them all the way! Just enough so that a bit of percussive maintenance against a brick wall can untwist the twist... or give a shop the minimum one hour service charge and they'll fix it for you as well as cast an eye over the bike for any other obvious issues.
  9. 2nd that, I loosened mine too far and the whole front end went "floop!".
  10. [​IMG]

11. Well, I tried the loosen bolts trick and it didn't seem to fix it, then I loosened them some more and now the handlebars are about an inch lower than they were - d'oh. So I guess it's time to ride it very gently to the nearest mechanic and let them have at it.
  12. :D you were warned.

I fixed mine by having a helper to hold them up while I tightened them. I suppose you could do the same thing with a bottle jack or similar too if you have one.
  13. *hangs head* it doesn't fix it automatically... you did read the bit about percussive maintenance???? You were supposed to loosen it enough to then be able to smack the wheel/bar back into alignment - that was the context of the run of posts before I posted mine.

Anyway, ride carefully.
  14. Yeah, I tried it up against a picket fence but wasn't game to apply too much force in case I was doing it wrong.
  15. Perfect comment to take out of context :)
  16. now wasent that a waste of time and effort ,of to the bike shop you go , yes they do love new riders
  17. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The local mechanic was booked out til the end of the week and then off on Christmas, so I decided to give the loosen-bolts-and-bash thing one more try and ... wheel is now straight! Seems to ride okay, so that's a bit of a relief. I'll still be taking it to a mechanic in January, it's due for a major service soon anyway and then there's the issue of accidentally more sporty riding position from when the handlebars slipped an inch down the forks.
  19. No.