Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crashed 300m from Home

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jaguarfanster, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Well, I want to vent. Writing helps me organise my thoughts.

I was heading out to uni this morning. The road was a little damp from the night, and I didn't think much of it. In hindsight I must have been too quick around the round-about. The bike slipped out from under me, and I low sided at about 35 kmph.

The first motion I felt was being flung to the ground, along with the bike, followed by gradual rearrangement of my body into the foetal position. This whilst sliding. I tried to push myself away from the bike but my left femur slammed into the curb. The curb was of the raised design, and probably caused most of my injuries. Somehow my leg caused me to pivot, subsequently delivering my face into its concrete goodness. The $80, Kylin-el cheapo-eBay, full faced helmet saved me. Albeit the visor is completely grazed out, it's still in good condition. Thankfully neighbours walked the 300m to my house, and informed my father, who then brought in the ambulance.

The pain in my left leg was excruciating immediately after the crash. I feared the worst, thinking it was broken. Fortunately x-rays conducted at the Northern hospital, revealed no significant fractures. The pain was a result of arterial rupture in subcutaneous issue. Not major arteries, but enough to pool blood into non stretchable adjacent tissue (fascia). This leads to increased pressure between tissue layers combined with pain. Currently I am on anti inflammatory drugs, and some pain killers. I'm glad it's not too serious.

At the time of the accident I was relatively well geared. Textile jacket, leather gloves, race boots, and obviously the helmet. Additionally a back pack crammed with Uni stuff, absorbed some shock. Unfortunately my legs were granted no significant protection. Just a pair of jeans. The jacket runs down to my lower buttocks, so about 25-30% of my body was unprotected. However when sliding most of my weight was distributed to the boots and jacket, rather than the jeans. Minimal knee scrape contributed the remainder of my injuries. These have been gauzed and dressed.

The bike, a Spada, suffered moderate damage. The kerb bent the forks and the rim. Probably even the front rotor. Essentially this locked the front wheel. Minor damage included a broken headlight, left indicator, and snapped bar end mirrors.

Given the lock up the bike was unmoveable. Hence it was left on its side upon soft ground for the 5 hours I was hospitalised. Once again I'm extremely grateful for my aforementioned neighbours. They kept an eye on the bike and turns out their watch saved it from being stolen. It sickens me to the core that just an hour after the ambulance picked me up some guys pulled up in a car and were tampering with the bike. Only after confrontation from my neighbour did they flee like the spineless rats they were. Anyway, when I'm back on feet, I will surely get him a slab, or the finest wine I can procure.

Reconstructing the accident, a variety of issues played part in my demise. Firstly the road was damp. This was most likely the predominant factor in the low side. Additionally the round about is designed with significant negative camber. I have no idea why. This caused the exaggerated lean, and in combination with cold tyres and the above, resulted in a loss of traction. My throttle control was fine. I pay close attention to gradual roll on, and avoiding large changes. This through practice and referring Keith Code's cornering bible. It makes Black Spur rides extra enjoyable. Furthermore I was no where near "running wide". Looking deep into the turn, reasonable leaning, and counter steering are always involved in my riding.

Well so what have I learnt? I'll never take a wet road for granted. Never again.

Surprisingly, during this experience, not for a second did I consider selling my bike and getting out of motorcycling. Oddly enough, I've already sourced a new rim and forks from the wreckers. 8 hours after the accident. Go figure.

Oh, and by the way Victorian paramedics and radiologists are getting hotter. One of the many reasons I'm in the health industry :). If you're ever considering coming off your motorcycle do it in Vic!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yarrk,

Glad you are ok and nothing broken.

A big contributor also would have been cold tyres.
  3. Glad to hear you are pretty much ok, busted femur is a bad one, good to have avoided that. Roundabouts are regular sites of spin outs in cars when wet, something to do with a build up of oil and debris I suspect.
  4. predomint factor was your cold tires, if you had warm tires and a wet road you would have probably been ok. I live at the end of a windy road and always need to remind myself to slow down when i am heading out early.
  5. Bad luck Dude. Hope your leg heals quick. My guess is that your bike will be a write off. Bent rim and forks as minimum... just replacing those is a sizeable portion of replacement value, unless you intend to get all components and do it yourself.

Roundabouts need to be treated with respect. Cars go slower so roundabouts accrete more oil drops. Add some moisture and you have some slippery goodness.

Ok, tough love time: you went through a roundabout in the wet at 35km/h mate, edit: out of the gate on cold tyres and cold suspension oil*... what do you think about that decision? Are you sure you didn't roll off or brake immediately preceding the low side? Was there something that caught your attention immediate proceeding the low side? :-k

Edit: your bike barely had a chance to warm up. Cold tyres and cold suspension oil means a less compliant ride.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. All you really needed to say is you tore your thigh muscle. That one hurts well, and for a few days too. Good luck walking down any slope steeper than slightly downhill.

Heal quick.
  7. Good to hear you came out relatively good and that no typical northern thug got their hands on your bike. Hopefully you recover quickly and get back on it soon :)

You have to watch it at round abouts or intersections, especially after a dry spell (like the awesome last week of sunshine). This causes oil/grease/diesel to accumulate...especially during areas of slow speeds. With a touch of rain (such as last night) many things can be brought up to the surface making the road much more slippery than a week of constant rain.

EDIT: I type too slow...beaten to the punch by above
  8. Thanks Rob. I started her up to get it home at 10 clicks per hour. The front end is terrifically out of alignment. However I am not insured, no insurance company was involved, and the rear and frame are fine. So no pesky bureaucrats involved, touch wood. I'm getting a second hand front rim for about 100 bucks so not too pricey. As for the forks I ventured into the garage after writing the post, and checked them again. I don't think they're bent actually. They seem straight as arrows, but only a turn on the lathe will tell. There's also no leaking fork oil, slightly good sign. I think they're twisted in the triple trees. Tomorrow I'll take the front end apart. I can't afford mechanics.

I totally agree with round abouts. Their oil accumulation, with a sprinkle of water would make them a contender for a new wet'n'wild attraction.

Regardless, I do that round-about every day to get out my suburb. I usually take it quicker in the dry. I thought I slowed down enough, but it wasn't enough. I'm confident I didn't have any SRs. I had a constant throttle through the turn with roll on. I never brake in a corner. It's just look deeper, counter steer harder, and a cheek off. I regularly visit the Spur, and scrape boots. That's where I learn and practice most of my cornering. Following the speed limit of course.

Anyway, when I was sprawled on the ground I remember touching the road. It was like sliding my hand over a non-stick fry pan. Then again I find that's the case with most wet roads. This was definitely more pronounced though.

Then again this is all my perception, but I my sense lead me to believe that's what happened.
  9. No, no my muscles weren't torn. I have a full range of movement. I should have said internal bleeding, and inflammation. It's clotted now. Yay.
  10. Yeh, I thought that was typically due to muscle tearing and hence bleeding through ripped artery creating said clot. Is the internal bleeding in your muscle or out?
  11. You're right Lilley, a ripped muscle can cause the same symptoms, as it will incorporate ripped arteries too. However you can rupture an artery without having to tear the muscle. Then you get the internal bleeding issue. It still hurts, but my leg has healed quite quickly. It's now movable, as opposed to having to use supports to lift the leg.
  12. Cool, thats lucky I guess. Sounds like you'll patch up quickly.
  13. Externalising is perfectly natural, we all do it. But would it also be fair to say "I was riding a little too fast for the conditions"? (damp road, off camber, cold tyres)

Also if you get the balls of your feet on the pegs, you should scrape your toes less :) Good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I guess you can always be thankful there wasn't a truck right behind you when it happened.

As for the bike if the impact was sufficient to do that much damage to the forks/rim then make sure you check very carefully for damage around the headstem (ie where the forks attach to the frame). Given the Spada has an alloy frame it's not bending you have to worry about, but tiny little cracks which can open up over time and cause sudden failure (so even if it looks good now be sure to check again once you start riding again).
  15. Amen. Pretty much the lesson I've learnt. I've been constantly pushing my limits of late. I went too far. And yes. Good point on the toes. Will change my positioning next Spur ride.

Of course. See having a suburb that couldn't afford wider roads is sometimes beneficial :p.

Yeah will add that to the checks. Cheers.
  16. Glad to read you are ok. There's a lot of information in your post that i was not aware of road condition wise.
  17. Glad to hear you're (mostly) okay. Doubly glad to hear your neighbours protected your bike. A slab or a bottle of whisky is definitely in order!

Anyone who's reading this who doesn't know, take the time to find out how rubber tyres work. There's heaps of stuff on youtube, and its *essential* to know IMHO.

One other thought: to be "constantly pushing your limits" is a dangerous plan for any rider. There are times to push your limits, and some places are better for it than others. I recommend that *before* your next spur run you stop and think about whether there are other ways of learning how to improve your riding that don't involve trying to push yourself until you discover where your limits are.

I'm also interested in hearing about your gear choices - why you were wearing what you were, and whether you will make the same or different gear choices when you're back on the bike.
  18. Just don't get distracted by all the other videos that come up when searching for "rubber" :-w
  19. Heal up soon mate.
    Bit concerned with the 'not insured' bit though.

20. there's lots of things that a young man needs to learn sooner or later