Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crash vids

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Ljiljan, Sep 14, 2011.

1. I want to start a crash vid thread, though I'm afraid these entries may kill it entirely. Oh well.

Old nascar cars seem to run into major aerodynamic issues whenever travelling in a direction other than forwards. Combine that with lack of crumple zones... (yes I know that they are little more than a cage with a fibreglass? shell)

Probably the most nuts crash I have ever seen

2. Sorry about the disabled embedding... :S

3. I love the elite level of safety gear these guys are decked out in

4. I recently saw "Senna" (Terrific doco) and there was one horrific accident in that. As a viewer you don't see the accident occur, just the aftermath... of it's a driver, void of a car, still strapped to his seat, face down in the middle of the track. With both feet pointing in impossible directions.

He survived but... ugh. I never realised the F1 in those days was so brutal.

5. No crumple zones back then, they were just driving steel battering rams.

6. Sounds like it might have been Didier Pironi who, IIRC smashed both lower legs in a horror crash in the early 80s.

Mind you, if you go back a bit further to the late 50s/early 60s, GP drivers had a similar life expectancy to Battle of Britain fighter pilots. Even though safety gradually became more of a priority, realistically, serious efforts at driver safety really only started to bear fruit in the 1980s. Prior to that, at least one fatal crash was expected over the course of a season and probably more. These days; well,when was the last time somebody died in F1?