Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crash statistics

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Julien, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Yes and I have been riding for less than 5 years

2. Yes and I have been riding for at least 5 years

0 vote(s)
  3. No and I have been riding for less than 5 years

0 vote(s)
  4. No and I have been riding for at least 5 years

0 vote(s)
  1. Hi guys

I am new to the motorcycle world. I am the kind of rider that just really love riding while at the same time not being interested in racing at all.

I hear a lot of people talk about crashing as if it were some kind of compulsory step in any motorcycle rider's experience. I would like to believe that it is a load of bullshit so I thought it would be interesting to launch a poll on the topic. I can't wait to check out the results!
  2. There's no point getting obsessive about the risk of crashing. Practice all aspects of defensive riding, dress appropriately, keep your bike maintained and let the fates sort out the rest.

In reality, I haven't met many long term riders who haven't hit the ground hard at some stage, but in the majority of cases, given good luck and decent gear, it needn't result in more than a few scrapes and bruises and a new war story.

Of course, there's the other type of crash too, but, like I said, it's really not worth obsessing about. If you do, maybe motorcycles are not for you.
  3. That's pretty much it, innit?

Even if (making up a statistic here) 95% of riders have had a crash at some point, someone's gotta be the 5% that don't. Heck, even if it's 99%, there's no harm (ahahah) in trying to be the lucky one. :)

Do what you can to reduce your probability of an incident, and see what happens. :)
  4. Please define crash. :grin:

But seriously, someone on here has a link in there sig about reducing the risks, (or beating the odds?) based on a US study, very good reading.
  5. I was like you when i started.
    Alwas wondered if i'd come off, and I thought i'd never come off, and was always liek "yeah i'll be in that statstic of riders that dont come off, after all Mr Y has been riding for 33 years and he has never come off"
    Then i came off. heheh

chances are you will come off eventualy but just be a good rider all the time and you shoudl be fine.
    And stop thinking bout it. The more u do the more inclined u are to come off.
  6. Crappy poll mate, not enough options.

How about severity? I've been rear ended (hardly any damage) and i've rear ended someone (hardly any damage) and i've never hit the road.

The more you ride the more skill you get and your ability to read the road conditions increases lowering your chances of having an accident.

Just get a bike and get on the road, the more riders there are the less cagers there are.
  7. It's Robsalvv.
  8. PatB :applause:

In my first year of riding on the road, I've had a little stack that was totally my fault. Got away with it with only a broken collarbone.

I've decided to make that one 'the crash I had to have' :LOL:
  9. similar to oohsam. was getting confident, just got my P's... thought perhaps i can avoid crashing. nope, cold tyres, night, road i didnt know, went for a little slide, but all was well other than some cracked fairing n bent handlebar.

as said, do as much as you can to AVOID crashing, but don't assume at any stage it won't happen to you, cause thats when it will happen.
  10. To take probability and apply it to something that can be fundamentally dissected - such as riding technique and habits, is absurd, sure it may give an idea of the relative danger of riding, but in no way should it be accepted as your personal odds.

If it were there would be no point in riding defensively and we all know that is insane.
  11. Some things are up to the gods, but...a lot is up to you! And yes, your choice of riding style etc does have a lot to do with it, no matter what anybody tells you. A crash is not inevitable. I've been riding ten years, daily commuting and constant joy-riding, with longer ones every weekend, these days usually about four hundred kms round trip, and I've never even dropped a bike (must have missed all the oil on the roads, cold tyres, etc etc). That said, it could happen tomorrow, and I've had some close ones, some my fault, some the fault of another.

If I crashed with the frequency of some other people I'd give up riding. Motorcycling is a risk, and I'm open to anybody doing their own style, but I made a choice a couple of years ago to back way off this whole thing of always trying to go faster, of treating riding as this thing about constantly developing skills, and having skills comparable to others. These days I go out riding and get over-taken by the other riders out there with me whom I know have a lot less skill and experience than me - I just wave them past and cruise along very much within my capacities, and leaving absolutely as little to chance as possible. If I went out on a group ride with strangers I'm sure heaps of guys on ZZR250s would think I was hopeless, and pretty much everybody would pass me, but I don't care, I'm in it for the long haul and I don't want to so much as bend bruise my knee. So yeah, I reckon it's a load of bullshit, but only if you takethe high risk of motorcycling very seriously and try to ride with zero ego regarding the skill talk (skills are really imprtant, but that talk is usually disguised 'I can go faster!' talk). As a personal opinion - and I'm sure somebody will read this wrongly - I suggest avoiding the sports bike side of thing and cultivating mc taste that involves just cruising along.
  12. Have you guys got that link by any chance? I've searched but can't find it...
  13. im hearing ya.

people can gain riding enjoyment from more than just pushing how fast you can get around a corner.

i knew a guy from college would nearly ended up dead at 17 with that mentality. he thought riding an R1 for his first bike was a good idea

i doubt hes riding these days, and i always think what was the rush in becoming a GP as soon as possible?
  14. Too many variables, Julien, and the stats won't tell the whole story anyway. I've crashed every single bike I've owned at everything from walking speed to (well) over 100 kph. Guess what, I've never broken a bone, and only lost some skin the size of a 50 cent piece on the knee....

Just get out there and ride, mate. Keep alert for the known risks and try and keep as much 'air-space' around you all the time.

15. Well said mate.
  16. That'd be me. :)
  17. I like the cut of your jib mattb. I always dreamed of riding a 1000cc superbike, but after sitting on the back of my mates dads cruiser the other day....... that was great too :D
  18. My wife came home pissed last night as she knows I want a bike and had just witnessed two idiots on bikes.
    She was driving down the road in a one lane street which has a bike (push bike) lane on it's left.
    As you approach lights the bike lane ends and the road becomes 2 lanes for a short period leading up to the lights which has the left lane for straight traffic or turning left and the right lane for right turns only.
    Well as she approaches the lights she gets ready to move into the left lane (remember it's only one lane at this stage) when she hears a bike roar past her on the left (L plater) she curses to herself at the recklessness when all of a sudden another one passes her on the left.
    These two idiots have passed cars on the left using a bicycle lane and knowing these cars are about to merge left.
    My wife had her blinkers on and wasn't about to move over without looking but she still got a fright when these two idiots roared passed.
    This isn't a vent it's just an example of stupid riding which could result in an accident.
    If you get a bike and ride sensibly you will reduce the chance of an accident.
    I was talking to a guy at work who's been riding for 45yrs and he has never come of his bike.
    He told me he has 2 simple rules and they are
    1- a bike rider never has right of way irrespective of the law
    2- never ride beside a car, etc. If one comes beside you if possible move forward or slow down a little to give yourself space.
    He also said never take of from lights without looking for red light runners first so I suppose he has 3 rules.
    I'm planning on getting my first bike soon and having an accident has also been on my mind but if I'm sensible the odds are greatly reduced.

Forgot to add the traffic was free flowing so the bikes passed on the left as cars where doing 50-60kph and about to merge left.
  19. You can tell her about the Canberra woman in a BMW car who overtook me (on my VTR250) on the left at speed while I was turning left at an intersection. ;)

There are risktaking pricks everywhere on the road, but the majority of truck drivers, cyclists, motorcyclists, car drivers and others aren't like that.

But that wasn't your point, I know - I'm just going off on a tangent.
  20. That's my style too.