Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crash rider critical after 170kmh Monash pursuit – The Age

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Sir Ride Alot, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EDIT: Just to be clear this thread is not about the actual accident it’s about the events prior to the accident.

It is curious as to why they have not reported why they wanted to pull him over initially. Harassment?

Crash rider critical after 170kmh Monash pursuit
    Megan Levy May 1, 2012 - 7:42AM

A motorcyclist was being pursued by police just moments before he was critically injured in a crash on the Monash Freeway last night.

The 32-year-old rider reportedly reached speeds of up to 170km/h during the pursuit before he lost control and crashed into a power pole in Mount Waverley.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said officers from the Stonnington Highway Patrol attempted to pull over the motorcyclist in Malvern East just after 9pm, however the rider allegedly sped off and police began pursuing him.

The rider allegedly reached speeds of 170km/h before police terminated the pursuit.

Several minutes later police were called to the freeway’s off-ramp at Blackburn Road in Mount Waverley where the rider had crashed.

He was taken to The Alfred hospital in a critical condition.

Detectives from the major collision investigation unit will investigate the crash with oversight from the ethical standards department.

Police are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information about the pursuit to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/c...ash-pursuit-20120501-1xvnw.html#ixzz1tb48IGtf
  2. How do they know it was the same guy?
  3. He was doing 170 and isn't dead?
  4. The TAC will fix that in post.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. My concern is over the events prior to the accident.
  6. It is curious as to why the motorcyclist did not pull over when signalled to. Unlicensed?

7. It may be the case but why they haven't repoted the reason is what made me curious.
  8. Maybe he was still slowing down, and only got down to 170kph before he lost control.
  9. If you are driving or riding on the road then police have every right to pull you over for as simple a reason as to check your licence and reg.
    It makes no difference to this sad article.
    The big question is why the rider didn't pull over. But as none of us know him or witnessed the incident so until the matter is investigated it is all speculation and kind of pointless.
  10. Damned shame, that.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. In that case, the rider was reported as dead - though he was not. That made rider down threads a no no. Not my ruling.

The rider in the OP article, by some stroke of luck, is reported to be alive and in hospital, so no speculation required.

Police chases are a hot topic. I'm surprised the paper hasn't reported that this one was "called off".
  12. I wonder how many runners are successful**. The police probably are not going to release details of those that are because it would encourage it. A relative of mine many years ago in a state far away always used to run if he was picked up at very high (licence losing) speeds. (He was young and stupid and an extraordinarily good rider- now he's older and slightly less stupid) He was never caught. That of course was in the days before cameras etc.

Now it' s much easier to lose your licence and you get your bike impounded, maybe that has given some people more incentive to do a runner.

**A cop I know interstate says it could be as high as 30 to 40% of motorcycle runners that are successful.
  13. Thread reinstated, this is about a police chase in which a rider was injured, it is not a rider down thread and it belongs in mainstream discussion.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Many thanks to smee and the mods for reinstating the thread.
  15. I'm pretty sure he wasn't doing 170kmph when he hit the pole. In fact I'd be pretty confident he wasn't going very fast at all when he hit.
  16. That was the report on TV news this evening: I think on GTV Nine, but it may have been Ten. Reported that the HP called off the pursuit when they reached 170kph and the bike was pulling away.
  17. Was likely doing 68 when he locked the back wheel and hit the pole.
    • Like Like x 5
  18. #18 AngryAnt, May 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Only the rider could answer the question as to why he didn't pull over and I imagine he's in no fit state to do so for a while.

19. Nah he'd be dead with a snapped neck
    He was doing 64 as he is injured, at 60 he would have flown around the pole.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Saw all the schemozzle at the top of the off ramp on Blackburn Rd last night on the way home from Monday night coffee. Can't see any way anyone would be doing 170 up there. It was in the middle of the intersection.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.