Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crash protection for motorcycles

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Minority153, Apr 1, 2015.

1. So I've still got to get my learner's. But I really want to invest in some crash protection for my new bike, suzuki inazuma gw250.

I've heard of some stuff, like crash bars, frame sliders, knobs...

But which is the best protection for the bike if I drop it? Like, which will result in the least amount of scratch damage to the overall bike?

And which of these crash protectors are useless? I've seen some people review some of the knob-like products as useless. :-S

Also, if you could mention the well know and well reputable brands please.

Thanks in advance.
  2. I'd imagine frame sliders etc would be great for low speed drops , or the odd accidental drop in the garage whilst you forget to fully engage the stand.

I cannot provide any real experience with them in high speed crashes etc but i have seen them save a bike when dropped from a standing point (dropped in garage).

3. just don't crash your fcuking bike
    but if you do make sure you have insurance
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Because they'll replace those limbs and organs... not like we need them anyhow... :angelic::wacky:
  5. that's a different mater
    but he asked how to protect his bike
  6. Too true, forgot which thread it was.. :whistle:
  7. Hey mate, looking at the model of you bike your kind of restricted with the type of 'frame' sliders a bit. With yours, you've gotta run longish slider bars at the front of your engine which, don't get me wrong here - they'll def help with a stand still or a verrry low speed drop, but will probably bend at anything above that. Usually pretty short and stout frame sliders mounted at the frame mounting point are pretty decent but even they've got their limits too. Not sure but maybe they make a more effective crash type 'bar' for your bike?

Aftermarket bar ends/sliders are a cheap and effective investment for handlebars though. Essentially, IMHO anything you do end up putting on is better than nothing should your pride and joy unfortunately hit the deck I reckon.....
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Unless that thing digs in and sends the bike tumbling through the air disintegrating rather than just sliding as I hear oggy knobs can do.
    Only time I've dropped my bike is when subjecting it to uncommon circumstances, not dropping it is mostly easy.
  9. So I'm only a tiny woman, not much strength anywhere on the body.

I'm more concerned with low speed or just dropping the bike while still, and I wanted to know which was the best protection for those situations. If I'm ever in a high speed crash, insurance will cover that.

But, can you blame me for wanting to protect my bike from, well me essentially.

As for the oggy knob things ( is there an official name for them?) there just seem to be so many different types to protect different parts of the bike, like almost a dozen different ones, and I was only hoping to invest in one or two (not much in the bank account)...

So, which two crash protectors would you say are the best? As in the actual parts, we can break down into brands later.
  10. Oggy knobs turn a distributed load into a point load directly to the frame, or worse, engine.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. And just because the rider might be wearing crash protection doesn't mean they won't get injured.
  12. Frame sliders.
  13. Oggy Knobs are a specific brand of protective knobs. They don't make any for my bike 'cause they said there wasn't any frame strong enough or suitably located to take them. So from their explanation if they don't think a bike has a suitable mounting point that would ensure limited damage, then they won't market one. IMHO.

Like Rodzilla I'd vote for bar ends, like: http://www.barkbusters.net/products/storm

While they market them as only providing protection from the elements, they do have a thick aluminium alloy frame which should save your handle bar ends, levers & maybe even your fingers. Most of my drops have been at low speed as a complete beginner. Panic braking lock up in the wet. As a consequence both hand levers are worn down. Surprising how little damage I did when I dropped it on the LHS on a wet corner, watching the poor little bike slide across the road in a shower of sparks. I ended up replacing the clutch lever as the cable was separating, which only came as a complete assembly at about twice the price I later paid for the bark busters.

Maybe what you need to do is search on line for owners of Inazuma gw250s and see/ask what damage they’ve managed to do and then work out what forms of protection you need and what is specifically made for your model.

Oh & Uncle Greg – don’t dismiss his advice. He means “learn to ride”. You will probably get a few more replies like that. That’s the sort of thing he’d be telling you if you were in Melbourne & came down to Saturday morning Elwood cones while he was teaching you more about how to actually ride a bike. There are many on NetRider who hear his voice echoing in our skull when we’ve gone in to a corner too fast and are target fixed on a pile of gravel on the outside of the corner.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Well it's certainly reassuring that they know how much load a point on a cast aly frame can take before it fails. Just ask brownyybrownyy how well they know it.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I was just guessing about their thought processes, I have been told I'm full of it. Maybe they think my model was too small a market to bother with.

"Point load" is a good err.. point. Slider bars would distribute the force over at least 2 points. There probably is no fool proof or ideal protection. How many ways can you stack or drop a bike? And momentum is proportional to velocity.
  16. Greggy's method is about the closest you'll get.

17. Very good point on asking other gw250 owners.

Thanks for all the input guys. :)