Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crash kills man on Monash Freeway

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by vic, Nov 30, 2009.

1. mehan McNaught From: Herald Sun November 30, 2009 9:32PM

Clearly the WRB in this case prevented a possible head on collision. Hard to argue against them when cars simply bounce off them

2. A fellow rider on another forum was a first hand witness, it appeared to him that the bmw hit the barrier once, bounced off then he veered back into it before veering off across the lanes hitting a nissan tiida which then hit a tree as did the bmw.
    The Witness thought that maybe the driver of the bmw was in some sort of distress like a heart attack based on the events leading up to and during the accident.
    Whether the wrb or another type of barrier would have had another outcome is unknown.
  3. Funnily enough as soon as I read the OP that was what I thought would be the most likely cause.
  4. Half the point of WRB is that things that hit them DON'T just bounce off like armco or concrete barriers, the wire absorbs the impact as the mounting points break away. For him to 'bounce' off then it hit again then veer across the road sounds very much like he was in some other kind of trouble.
  5. Depends on how the driver reacts to the collision. you'll notice the only "fatality" is the driver at fault but if he'd managed to cross the median and hit a car full of innocent kids head on............
  6. I was there at the time and saw what happened.

For what it´s worth, the car didn´t appear to be under any sort of control from the time it first drifted out of its lane to the right and toward the WRB. No brake lights, no driver reaction of any kind.

I can´t say whether the barrier played a part in the car suddenly spearing left across four lanes of traffic. The driver might have collapsed to the left and pulled the wheel over as he did so.

But if there hadn´t been a barrier there (whatever the kind) there´s no doubt the car would have crossed the median and hit the oncoming traffic.