Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Craig Jones 1985 - 2008

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by cejay, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Craig Jones has passed away in hospital as a result of the injuries he sustained during the Supersport race @ Brands Hatch yesterday.

I had the pleasure of meeting Craig at PI when he was testing for the Petronas team. He was there setting up, was very approachable and seemed to be a genuinely nice guy. No one in SSP or SBK seems to have had a bad word to say about him.

Craig, RIP.

2. Awful for everyone, for his family and loved ones, and also for Andrew Pitt, who must still be coming to terms with hitting Garry McCoy just a couple of weeks ago. Nothing good.
  3. Urk... :cry:
    I'd never really followed things too closely until fairly recently with the WSS, but I was watching at the time... barely slept afterward. Clearly an amazing talent.
    Probably better to have passed on than the massive head injury, but still...

Thanks for posting, CJ.
  4. He was one of these blokes who no one had a bad word to say about. He was a real trier, had a spectacular style and was destined for good things.

Pitt must be feeling awful. In both accidents he was not to blame and was just in the wrong place at the time.

Rea will be feeling terrible. He and Jones shared a great friendship and spent time with each other.

Apparently a track marshall died at Croft yesterday too (UK). Remember, enjoy everyday.
  5. Way too young. :(

I wish family, friends and those involved with the incident all the best.
  6. Oh, that is so sad, what a tragic loss.
  7. R.I.P. Craig, you were one hell of a rider... :cry:
  8. Sobering.

Ride high dude.
  9. Makes you aware of how much these guys love what they do, but how dangerous it is.

At least the media didn't plan it over and over again.

10. Incredibly sad day for motorcycling and I'll always remember the determination he showed as an athlete and racer. Craig was a true gentleman of the sport and had achieved so much at such a young age and had really made an impact in Supersport. He will be sadly missed. RIP, Craig.
  11. :cry: Its sad we wont see how far he might have got ... :cry:
  12. I think the fact that they didn't speaks volumes for the director. In fact, I don't think they replayed it at all, did they?
  13. When I read this last night I felt ill.

I fell asleep after the rain stopped the race and woke up as the Superbikes were about to start race 2 and had no idea what had just happened while I slept.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  14. They did....
    what made it worse was seeing his lifeless body just slide along with no movement before coming to a rest where you could see his eyes shut :(

Really sad.
  15. I wasn't aware his passing when we had the race replay on in the background last night. It was truly a nasty slide and very distressing to see.

Very very sad.
  16. Tragic loss.

I actually missed the race on Sunday as I didn't realise it was on. I did find a replay of the accident on Youtube, and after watching it, it chills me to the bone as he didn't even really hit anything. It happened so fast that it was hard to make out clearly what happened. I had always believed that if you're at a racetrack and you fell off, so long as you don't hit anything, then you may break a few bones (am well acquainted with that) but otherwise the chances of dying are extremely slim.

The nature of the accident has certainly caused me to reassess the "safety" of the racetrack. Last week I watched a rider in front of me come down for no adequately explainable reason (best reason I could find was that there was a faint dark smudge on the road about 50cm long by 20cm wide that his front wheel may have hit as he tipped into a corner), and he went sliding under the armco and smashed up his leg so badly that bone was poking through the skin.

Very sobering week.

RIP Craig.
  17. +1 Flux. I've only just seen it, and that looked so innocent.
  18. Happened in the blink of an eye ..
    Made me feel sick seeing him lying there 'lifeless'
    So sad, a life cut short in the prime of his life
    R.I.P Craig Jones