Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cracking paintwork on tank

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by jmnug2, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Hey Guys,
    I've had my bike (CB 250) since Feb. So far I've had no problems with it but lately I have noticed a few small cracks developing in the paintwork on the tank. There are 3-4 small cracks and below is a picture of the worst one. How can I go about fixing this problem? I doubt my local bike shop will know the solution so does anyone know of a laquer filling product or something similar to stop the cracks from spreading

Cheers guys,

2. Looks like it has been bogged, and the bog is coming away from the tank.

Depending on how much you want to spend, either get it repaired properly or touch it up yourself
  3. I'll probably sell the bike within the next 6 months or so, so I don't want to spent too much fixing it. If I were to patch it up my self what would I use to do it and would it stop the cracks from spreading?
  4. Just use Body Filler to patch up before you sell it - if there's rust under there now - then no guarantees it will last six months.

Matching the paint to a spray can will not be easy if it has been resprayed non standard colour.
  5. cant stop that from spreading,
    Its old putty delaminating.

fill it with some kind of thick glue.

Otherwise respray or another tank.
  6. There is only one way to fix it. What everyone else has said is true. It is a cellulose filler shrinking.

" Fix it properly the first time, or the next owner will fix it again."

This is what the previous owner should have said to himself, but he just didn't care about you.
  7. that right there looks like the filler coming because there is a hole underneath it....ive seen it many times...the fuel vapour makes the filler lift off....dig it all off and fix the leak and repair the dent properly and you will have no more issue's