Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cracked fairing repairs... where in VIC?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Grunge, Sep 29, 2006.

1. I know there's been a couple of posts on this, but I couldn't find it when I made a search under "fairing repair."

Plus I want an opinion from you peoples. :p

Anyways, I've noticed on my kewl black zxr250, that there's a small crack on the right fairing at the end of the fairing, about 5cm or so (I'll try to grab picturfes of it tonite to show you. It's easily ignorable, but I'm anal retentive and my main concern is that the more I ride the more the crack would open up.
    Would this be likely to happen, and if so is it easy/cheap to repair? - being that it's just plain black no other colors, and the crack is only about 5cm and at the edge/end of the fairing (near where the front wheel is.)

Also, any reccomendations from anyone (esp in the knox area) and would you know how long this repair work would take?

Thanx, y'all.
  2. I don't know about places in Mel, but have you thought of plastic welding it yourself?
  3. I haven't, because I don't know how to plastic weld.
  4. Plastic welding guns aren't exactly cheap either.
    You can try the kits that you get from bike stores, can't recall the name. But personally I think they're useless.
    Try yellowpages for 'plastic repairs'
  5. Depends how big the crack is, but if you get it plastic welded then your going to want to get it painted again. On the other hand... you could try getting some of that Plastex plastic repair stuff and giving it a shot. I've never used the stuff but i've heard plenty of people praise it.
  6. Hmm.. I do have some spare plastex.. I'm just missing the liquid, I'm sure I can get some. :]
  7. Well.. I managed to get some pics of the crack. Here they are:

8. There's some guy who puts a board out at Tooradin (the place that should be spelt backwards...Nidaroot :LOL: ). He advertises plastic welding repair and painting.

Anyone used his services??
  9. Uuuh... where the heck is Tooradin?
  10. Down closer to Western Port Bay.
  11. Woah... a little too far for me.

I'm sure Vic's written it somewhere but I can't find it... uggghh... :p
  12. Global Motorcycle Wreckers - about $25 for every 20cm (I Think).
  13. I dont have the ph numbers but you can look them up in phone book or search the net .. MPR Motorcycle Plastic Repairs in Sunshine , do all insurance repairs in Melb for all the bike shops.
    Cheaper still contact Ian at "Orginal Finish" in Kilsyth
    Or phone Floyd Parks Kawasaki on 97576000 and ask for Dave the plastic repairers phone number.

Or if your game to try doing it yourself you can attempt to use a soldering iron and a cable tie to melt as the filler. Either way you still need to paint it afterwards.

MPR however will to do the repaint aswell.
  14. Try the Touch up Guys

They can plastic weld and do an awesome job of painting at your place.

I did a days work with one of the guys when I was thinking about a franchise and I was very impressed with the quality of work done out of a van!

15. Wow. So many leads. Thanks you guys!! :]
  16. Pete at Boss Cycles in Montrose does a sensational job.

0412 043 134

Tell him you're a Netrider and you didn't get Lozzed.
  17. Loz, I just called Pete.
    He's a good bloke, hope to get it done tommorrow. Thanx mate. :]