Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cracked fairing - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by gato, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Aside from doing a 'fighter conversion :LOL: , are the any other suggestions?

Buying original fairing is quite prohibitive and i've checked aftermarket fairings on the 'net. the quality doesn't seem to be there - fitting, material durability. i've heard of plastic welding, does anyone have any experience with this? any recommendations on where to go?

just a background of the story:
    the 'bike is a gsxr600 k6, parked on the driveway of a house. on that saturday when the mercury shot up to 46° + the asphalt melted and the sidestand sank into molten tar. 'bike went down, caught a flowerbed in its side. result: fairing broken clean, some other cracks. unfortunately the good old oggys couldn't save it.

appreciate your suggestions, cheers.
  2. If your not a pussy who likes a pretty bike I'm 99.99% sure you can get a plastic repair kit. I saw them in the BigW (or supercheap) auto section next to the quiksteel tubes. It might have even been quiksteel for plastic, but I didn't pay much attention. I think it came in a tube too, but had a red lid?

If its half as good as quiksteel (which is for metal) I'd give it a go.
  3. You can plastic weld teh fairings no problems.

If the person is good enough you wont be able to locate the repair.

Original Finish Motorcycle Smash Repairs & Spray Painting

(03) 9761 8033
    Fcty49/ 65 Canterbury Rd
    Kilsyth VIC 3137

I've used Ian before as have many others here and have been really happy with his work.

Good luck
  4. Yeah you should be able to get a professional plastic weld and respray done on one panel for hundreds of dollars only.

You'll pick it up on the resale. Worth it on a bike that is not that old.
  5. Cheffie has perfected a 'NR proven' procedure using egyptian sand.
    Don't laugh, it's easy to use and works a treat!
  6. +1 Original Finish

Mate of mine works for Jeffrey Honda and he highly recomends them.
  7. thanks for the info guys! :) i will give Original a call.