Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cracked fairing and superglue

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by cameron, Feb 14, 2007.

1. i recently stuck together a huge 10 inch crack on my zzr left fairing with superglue....was this entirely stupid? i mean it seems to be pretty strong, is plastic welding still a possiblity even though ive stuck the crack together with glue?

2. if it is working, dont mess with it, but plastic welding, or a fibreglass patch underneath would have been better, as it remains flexible.
    after a period of time, the vibrations will more than likely cause the glue to let go. when this happens, i would get out a file, or some sanding paper and remove all the glue from the crack. this will take you back to a nice clean area that can be professionally plastic welded, patched underneath with fibreglass, welded by yourself with some cable ties and a soldering iron (or scap fairing pieces) or maybe using some plastex (get it from a motorcycle shop) would do the job.

but, as i said, if its hanging on now.....unless it is prone to flying off if it lets go, i wouldnt worry at this stage :)