Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA Crackdown on 'drivers who put motorcyclists at risk'.....

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Oct 31, 2011.

1.  Top
    • Like Like x 2
  2. should be National not just in SA. Like to bit where they will target drivers who put motorcyclists at risk

3. I like the thirty more time likely to die bit.
    Where do they get those figures?

4. My guess its the VKT comparison that was so criticised by Rob et al in the recent RSC enquiry.

Edit VSC to RSC as per Robs correction.

5. RSC - Road safety Committee, inquiry.

It's not really a good number to use to demonstrate motorcycle safety... but it's a great number to use if you want to promote car driving.

6. Still not quite sure what they mean by targeting drivers that put motorcyclists at risk. Are they looking for drivers that suddenly change lanes, or change lanes without indicating? That would be a first and a good one indeed. But I'm a bit of a pessimist and expect them to target speed only with drivers as well. Let's wait and see.

7. Lets not get sucked in by some feel-good gesture and start feeling that anyone except ourselves are looking after ourselves.

For the record I dont think threatening drivers will help. They need to learn how to drive well all the time, not learn how to be afraid of being caught driving badly.

8. I think they are using this in line with their increased scrutiny on mobile phone users whilst driving. There has been a big thing on inattentive driving in SA lately and i think that's what they are referring to.

9. 30 times in SA, that means that they are much safer over there than here in Victoria where we're told it's 38 times!

Or maybe the drivers over there are worse!

ps... WTF is a "motorbiker"?

10. So agree with this!!!

11. Yeah, drivers value their decisions based on their outcomes rather than the potential dangers eg. if they use their mobile phone without getting caught, they got away with it, it was a good decision. Need to find a way to stop that.

12. Guess that would be a good move. Distraction is probably cause no 1 for SMIDSYs.

13. #13 Garido, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Spot on mate. They just had a talk about this on radio and referred to a NZ drink driving ad ([media=youtube]CtWirGxV7Q8[/media]) which uses positive re-enforcement and mateship, rather than gory pictures and blame games.